Why people cycle?

Why people cycle - I ride my bike because

Flickr mage source

• “Because I enjoy seeing all the things around me”
  • “Bicycling keeps me in shape”
  • “I like going on bike rides with my boyfriend to socialise”
  • “I hate public transport”
  • “I cycle because going to the gym never really worked for me
  • “Unlike drivers sitting in traffic inside a car I get a direct connection to my environment. Which feels more real.”
  • “Slowing down to the urban biking pace reveals a city that many urban dwellers hadn’t taken notice of, yet.”
  • “Cycling is a great meditation – it gives you time to think about the challenges you are facing.”
  • “I ride so I can shave my legs and wear spandex.”
  • “I like the sound of my tires when they turn fast.
  • “Because there’s nothing like suffering on the bike to make you appreciate a shower, clean clothes, and a plate of food.”
  • “Because one of my most vivid childhood memories is the moment that my training wheels stopped rattling against the ground.”
  • I ride my bike to stay connected……with people, places, events and memories.
  • “I have the road to myself. Fog, wind and solitude. I love it.”
  • “Because I love hearing the soft movement of gears spinning below you”
  • “It puts me in a good mood, particularly if you’re cycling past lines of cars waiting in a jam.”

Why do you cycle?

11 Responses to Why people cycle?

1. Bird 11/08/2009 at 9:31 am #

Cycling keeps me fit and gets me around town faster than any car. How much money have I saved on transport and gym fees? It must run in to thousands of pounds per year. So it’s cheap, healthy, practical, fast and oh hang on I forgot the most important bit… it’s FUN!!!

2. Bransby 11/08/2009 at 10:35 am #

It’s by far the cheapest and fastest way to travel around London. It keeps me fit, keeps the roads that little bit less congested, doesn’t contribute to air pollution, and cycling down the Grand Union Canal towpath every morning means I’ve got possibly one of the best commutes in London!

3. Brent 11/08/2009 at 12:33 pm #

because i have collar bones of steel.

4. Jo 13/08/2009 at 4:22 pm #

I cycle so I can wear shorts with nappies sewn into them.

5. Tri Boy 21/08/2009 at 2:25 am #

To make the day a better one, take a cycle.

6. Andreas 24/08/2009 at 12:50 pm #

Bransby – I just cycled the Grand Union Canal towpath too – going to be writing up about it today or tomorrow. The scenery was gorgeous and I love the lack of uphill struggles!

7. cycloslug 19/02/2010 at 2:38 pm #

I like riding through all the different smells.

8. Andrei 13/05/2010 at 7:08 pm #

A bike gives me incredible autonomy.

9. dietas 25/10/2011 at 7:15 am #

Heya i’m for the primary time here. I found this board and I find It really useful & it helped me out a lot. I hope to give one thing back and help others such as you helped me.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Speedlinking 16 August 2009 » Treadly and Me - 15/08/2009

[…] Why people cycle? […]

2. De bună dimineaţa: Why do you cycle? - 19/08/2009

[…] cea mai simplă întrebare posibilă. Mai jos, o parte din răspunsurile adunate de London Cyclist, aici. Să vedem ce răspundeţi […]