My next bike purchase will be a… [poll]

Cyclists at the SkyRide 2010

In this weeks comment Friday we’re dreaming of our next bike purchase. Road bike, single speed, mountain bike… what takes your fancy as a potential next bike purchase?

This weeks posts if you missed them:

, ,

22 Responses to My next bike purchase will be a… [poll]

1. Matt 23/09/2011 at 8:34 am #

I would really like a made to measure frame as I’m not really an off-the-peg size. A Mercian, perhaps, built with Campagnolo. Better start saving :)

2. Emma 23/09/2011 at 10:13 am #

My next bike, hopefully in the next couple of weeks, will be a mountain bike. I used to have a Specialized Rockhopper – so old that it didn’t even have suspension – but someone nicked it 2 years ago and I’ve gone road bike orientated since then. I rather fancy taking part in the GRIM duathlon and thought I could also justify a MTB for winter cycling too. But I’m with Matt – to have a bespoke road bike – a Roberts as they’re local to me – would be the ultimate dream bike.

• Andreas 23/09/2011 at 12:50 pm #

Agreed – a bespoke bike would be amazing and would qualify for plenty of showing off to your friends!

3. el-gordo 23/09/2011 at 10:33 am #

Who are these people that aren’t looking for a bike? Surely you are always looking, even if you aren’t really looking!?

4. Campbell 23/09/2011 at 10:37 am #

I am always looking for a 26 inch wheeled hybrid folding bike. I have a Dahon Cadenza P18, as I need to fold/get the train for part of my commute (Borough Green (Kent) to London) – I cycle the Bromley-London leg. I like my bike, but am always, always on the look out for a better one if it exists.

5. charlie sorrel 23/09/2011 at 10:48 am #

I just ordered a surly LHT frame with an Alfine 11 hub, Alex rims, butterfly touring bar and Shimano Deore everything else. First touring bike. Totally excited.

• Andreas 23/09/2011 at 12:51 pm #

Very cool! Everyone always praises the Surly frames.

6. GJ Baan 23/09/2011 at 11:23 am #

Hi all,

Just read that Dutch bikes are no2 in the poll list!
    In case you are interested, http://www.anddutch.co.uk deals with all sorts of Dutch bikes from townbikes, urban-city, folding, chainless, race, mtb …you name it!
    Most are exclusive brands to the UK and of high quality. I can only suggest that you have a peek as to what they have on order.

7. Marcus Taylor 23/09/2011 at 11:40 am #

I have a road bike and a mountain bike, but we all know that’s never enough. A carbon road bike would be nice. A custom frame would be nice. A house in the country and garage big enough would also be nice!

8. Nick 23/09/2011 at 12:27 pm #

Really really want the Specialized McClaren S-Works Venge… With SRAM Red or Dura-Ace groupsets, perhaps over a nice set of Zipp rims, but then I see the lovely Felt ARO 2011, then fall in love with that… And then I see the TREK “build your own” section and make up my own custom ride and want that!

Then I start looking at track bikes and want to upgrade my frame to something new, and the choices start again, frames galore and all look sexy as hell!!

Then the BBC run an article on Penny Farthings… WANT!

9. Pete 23/09/2011 at 1:28 pm #

Looking out for a cargo bike!

A Bakfiets would be nice. :-)

10. Montyz 23/09/2011 at 1:48 pm #

Searching and reviewing the different pedals, shoes and associated clips for possible installation to my beloved Raliegh Reynolds 501. Can’t make up my mind which way to go. Will take the plunge soon though cause my arches are killing me… serves me right for giving up for thirty years :-)

11. Andreas 23/09/2011 at 2:12 pm #

In-case anyone is wondering what some of the other responses are, here’s what we’ve been getting:

Cyclocross, BMX, Moulton, TT bike, Cargo, Vintage and a Unicorn bicycle

12. Reuben 23/09/2011 at 4:40 pm #

I had to sell my tandem to afford rent two years ago, it was a sad, sad time, Perpetually looking for another (preferably tourer / racing), shame about the space requirement, but soon. Also kinda want to build a porteur with a sturmy archer fixed 3 speed…

13. Andrea 23/09/2011 at 6:49 pm #

I am happy with my Rohloff equipped touring/cargo and commuting bikes but… tomorrow I will be receiving my 1998 Campagnolo everything Colnago Tecnos!!! Apparently the lightest steel frame Colnago ever made, apparently in gorgeous as new condition (so my friend in Italy suggests) practically made to measure (so the numbers suggest) and definitely the bargain of the century… I’ll never be so glad to drive to Stansted!!!

Domani si corre… tomorrow we ride :-))))

14. Matt 23/09/2011 at 8:41 pm #

oh yeah… and a moulton! But they’re ‘mental expensive’. Well, the top end ones anyway.

15. TonyParrack 25/09/2011 at 9:28 pm #

been really enjoying running around on a £100 fixie for 3 years but run it into the ground. Just got my cracked frame Condor sorted under a frame replacement scheme and I’m LOVING it!
    However, I was in Amsterdam recently and I really fancy a big old Amsterdam bile. Old school – back pedal rear brake and all. Have to be painted black. They’re quite cheap over there, so maybe next time…

16. debencyclist 25/09/2011 at 9:33 pm #

I like the idea of made to measure but what if I spent all that money and it was a disappointment? Then I’d just feel stupid.

17. Pete 25/09/2011 at 9:46 pm #

I am just in the process up building myself a new MTB using a bamboo frame, been slowly gathering all the parts now I am just waiting for the frame to be finished.

I would have loved to have used the Bamboo Bike Studio guys in the US to even build the frame myself but is a bit of a flight to justify from NZ.

18. Tim 30/09/2011 at 3:33 pm #

I have been looking at the Cooper bikes for a couple of years now, I hope I will finally be able to buy one soon. I have recently retired so I don’t need the workhorse hybrid I have always bought to survive the daily commute. Looking forward to days riding in the sunshine for pleasure rather than as a means of getting to work.

19. Pedalingfuriously 05/10/2011 at 10:44 pm #

I usually have about 5 bikes in my head that are on my next buy list: currently, the Person cyclo cross bike with disc brakes I saw in their shop on Monday! A custom built titanium road bike like a serotta or seven or independent fabrication. A time trial bike, maybe a Pearson again, but the Specialized Shiv is a thing of purposeful beauty. A tandem. And finally a cargo bike, I love the bakfiets (sp?) Perhaps a 29 Mountain Bike?

20. Emma 06/10/2011 at 9:32 am #

That cyclo cross Pearson – “I’ve Started so I’ll finish” looks like it would fulfill my every need ;-)
    For those who haven’t seen the new Pearson range here’s the link: