Here is a collection of 10 DIY bike projects that you can do in your free time. Each one contains links to different ways of implementing the project. The reason for I put this collection together is because I couldn’t find anywhere else on the internet that brings all these great projects in one place so make sure you bookmark it! I hope you enjoy the list and getting creative. Let me know if there are any more great DIY projects you are aware of.
1 DIY bike stand
When you get into your bike repairs you will soon get sick of standing the bike upside down. At that point you will want a bike repair stand. There is no shortage of articles about how to build your own so I recommend starting with the roundup by Bikehacks.
2 Make your own bike camera mount
- Attach a camera to your bike using a reflector mount (Photojojo.com)
- Build a bicycle camera mount using a cheap bicycle light (Camerahacker.com)
3 Bright Bike
4 Store your bike on these DIY bike racks
5 Make your own bike trailer
In the quest to go car free the bicycle trailer is an essential tool. How else are you going to get all that shopping from the supermarket? By re-purposing some old bike parts you can make your own trailer and save yourself a lot of money.
6 LED bike wheel
- Spoke POV (Instructables)
7 Give your bike a healthy neon glow
- DIY Glow: Ground Effects Lights For Your Bike (Instructables)
8 Ugly your bike
Here is another interesting DIY project we have discussed before on London Cyclist. Uglying your bike to make it unattractive to thieves. If you couple this with our bike lock tips you are good to go!
- Ugly your bike (Make Digital)
9 Make your own super bright bike light
Sometimes you just get the urge to go out and bike late at night. When this happens your standard bike light will probably not be enough for you to feel comfortable. What you need is the ultimate in bright bike lights. The guides below will show you how to modify standard bike lights and save a lot of money when compared to top of the range bicycle lights.
- Bike light 500 lumen “Mt.Bike” for under 10 bucks (Instructables)
- Ultimate night vision headlamp (Instructables)
- How to make the ultimate 18volt mountain bike light (Make Digital)
10 DIY bike panniers
- How to make bicycle panniers out of recycled materials (Instructables)
- An inexpensive pannier you can make (Crazyguyonabike)
You may also enjoy:
- How to find and plan the perfect cycling trip in the UK
- How to choose a good bicycle helmet
- How to clean your bike
Join 9,241 fellow cyclists who are subscribed to the London Cyclist newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get...
- Advice on the best cycling gear
- A Friday roundup of all the latest London cycling news
- Exclusive content not available on the blog
Subscribe today, and get exclusive access forever! (It's free)
*No spam, ever!
As seen on The Guardian, BBC and The Independent.