I get a lot of reader questions on London Cyclist and many of them I answer without ever showing on the blog but there is one common theme emerging: Fear to leave a bike somewhere. Take a look at the latest one..
I am about to change jobs, and I am losing the garage cycle parking that I very much loved. My new job is right near LSE, and there are a couple of bike racks in the university area, but they are almost always full and I’m nervous about leaving my bike on the street everyday, especially in a student area. I was wondering if you know of anyway to rent storage space in a garage or to find more secure cycle parking?
If not, do you have any advice about trying to switch to a folding bike?
First of all:
How much is your bike worth?
I would say if it exceeds £400 you should get bicycle insurance. If it is a cheaper bike then I would be less worried.
If it’s worth 1000’s of pounds then you may want to consider something cheaper if it will be left for a long time in a high risk area.
Secure bicycle parking in London
Secure bicycle parking is in limited supply in London. The one I’m aware of is by London Bridge at On Your Bike. Your options are..
- Ask around local businesses and see if one will be kind enough to let you leave your bike in their garage
- Ask around local bike shops who may let you leave your bike on a one-off basis – It would be hard to convince them to keep your bike there regularly
- Talk to your employer and see if there is a possibility of introducing secure bike parking – remind them they can get government and LCC funding to help with this.
Folding bikes to the rescue?
More bike safety articles:
- Bicycle insurance
- Locking your bike
- Stop your bike from getting piranha’d
- Best bike locks
- Get your bike security tagged
Image via Fix Pena