What I’ve been reading Best of the web is a London Cyclist monthly series that highlights the best cycling content from around the web. We go out there and find all of the best bits so you don’t have to!
London Cycling News
Cycle to work scheme (50% off bikes!) is now available to all according to the Guardian as long as you can convince someone in payroll to sign it off. All the extra bikes generated from the scheme need somewhere to park and the £14 million spent on “Cycle hubs” may help ease the strain on the cycling infrastructure. After the Daily Mail stupidly calls all cyclists “Lycra louts” the Times responds with a fantastic article by Janice Turner called: Cycling should be a dull, not extreme sport. Finally this month news emerged that a new law may soon be passed if trials succeed to allow cyclists to cycle the wrong way down one way streets.
- The UK and Ireland’s 12 best cycling routes according to the Times
- The worlds most spectacular roads according to MatadorTrips
- If it’s not fixed it’s broke is a good article by ESPN about the fixed gear culture that continues to grow (via mysinglespeed twitter)
- Hilarious clip of a fake Tour De France finish with a bewildered cyclist
September highlights on London Cyclist
- 10 cheap and easy DIY projects anyone can do – this turned out to be quite popular one Twitter – thanks to everyone who retweeted!
- Bicycle insurance – A comparison of the different bicycle insurers
- How to choose a bicycle helmet – A look at some of the best bicycle helmets and what to look for when you walk into a shop
Twitter Goodness: On a typical road route, what is the average speed you cycle at?
- @simongoode – 11mph…
- @bonkbonkbonk – several mph faster than all the fixed gear muppets!
- @adilow – 25mph?
- @knersis – ~32km/h (Editor: 20mph)
- @suspectpackage – 15-17 mph, but cruise at about 20
- @sweek0 – I’m not sure if I get the question… my commute is 7.8 miles in 45 minutes or so. That’s 10.4 miles an hours
- @girlinthecafe – 15-20 km/h (I am a leisure cyclist after all!)
- @smorgasbord – 18mph
- @Aspire2hope – I’d like to say 20mph 🙂 but its more like 7mph in traffic with all the stops
- @Jamespellatt – 15mph going in to town (downhill) and 12mph going back. Would be quicker if they widen Kentish Town Rd
Things to buy!
Its sale time in all the bike shops so grab some bargains!
20% off use promo code: AUTUMN