Best of the web is a London Cyclist monthly series that highlights the best cycling content from around the web. We go out there and find all of the best bits so you don’t have to!
This months London Cycling News
It has been an unbelievably busy month news wise. Let’s go back to the 4th of October when a cycle route from London to Paris was announced. It is hoped the majority of the route will be off road. More good news came from the Peak District which is due to receive £1.25m of extra funding from Cycling England. It is the national park nearest to most of England and already boasts great cycling.
It’s not all good news however, the cycle superhighway we have been told is only going to be 1.5 metres wide at some points. Far from the optimal width for cycling. The bigger disappointment has been the Mayor’s Transport Plan which set a pretty meagre target of 5% of journeys done by bike by 2026. Finally the Cycle to Work scheme has been expanded and wants to offer a guarantee to employees that when they arrive at work they will have all the facilities they need.
It has been a busy month petition wise. There has been the 3feet2pass petition, the Sustrans petition to put cyclist safety first and the rally to tell people to write to their MP and stop Boris from closing down the HGV inspection unit.
From the blogosphere
- Cozy Beehive has a hilarious article on the assblend bicycle saddle.
- Cyclelicious have cleverly and hilariously criticised the new Audi advert.
- Carlton Reid has a great review of the X170 extreme sports video camera.
- Londonist has an amazing interview.. with me!
- In Copenhagen they wonder: How can we make life hell for cyclists?
- The Guardian asks: Why is it so difficult to take your bike on the train?
- Wired discusses the success of the Complete Streets Concept and how the road is split equally between the different road users.
- CyclingTips recommends using baby wipes for bike cleaning – is there anything they can’t do?
- Real Cycling has recommended a great route around the Peak District
Best of London Cyclist
- We have ran our first competition and got our first winner!
- We have discussed how to find and plan the perfect cycling trip in the UK.
- How to pick good clothing that will keep your feet warm.
- How to pick a good cycling jacket along with some recommendations
- There is various good discounts out at the moment in the bike shops both Evans and Wiggle have 20% off their bike lights. If you haven’t got one already then pick one up while there is discounts.
- Evans also have 15% off Rainwear.
I’ll leave this month behind with this great video from Danny. I just hope everyone enjoys their daily commute as much as this: