The best advice I’ve ever received as a cyclist?
Go on a cycle training course!
Despite being a confident cyclist, a friend of mine, LCC trustee David Love, convinced me I should go. I did, and it completely changed the way I cycle.
After I’d been on the course I noticed dangerous situations I was putting myself in regularly. I noticed how differently I was treated by drivers, once I’d made a few small changes to my cycling technique.
Most people scoff at the notion, because they think it’s like what you did as a child, in a fluorescent jacket, going down quiet streets.
It’s nothing like that! The courses are generally two hours of one on one tuition where you get incredibly useful advice from well researched cycling techniques.
By the end of it, you’ll feel far more confident.
The best part? Most of these courses are subsidised and are either free or very cheap.
Below, I’ve listed who you need to get in touch with to take a cycle training course. If your area isn’t listed then I recommend contacting TfL who can recommend a group in your area.
- Barking and Dagenham: Email: TransportPolicy@lbbd.gov.uk about cycle training.
- Brent, Ealing, Hackney, Westminster, Haringey and City of London: Cycle Training UK
- Bromley: Council website
- Camden: Council website
- Croydon, Tower Hamlets: Cycling instructor
- Enfield, Southwark, Lambeth, Newham, Westminster: Cycle Confident
- Greenwich: Council website
- Hammersmith & Fulham: Council website (organised through Bikeworks)
- Havering: Cycle Training East
- Hillingdon: Council website
- Harrow, Hounslow and Redbridge. Contact: Cycle Experience
- Islington: Council website
- Kensington and Chelsea: Booking form
- Kingston upon Thames: Council website
- Lewisham: Council website
- Merton: Council website
- Richmond upon Thames: Council website
- Sutton: Council website
- Wandsworth: Council website
Camden council have put together a video showing some of the things you’ll learn in a two hour session.
Join 10,221 fellow cyclists who are subscribed to the London Cyclist newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get...
- Advice on the best cycling gear
- A Friday roundup of all the latest London cycling news
- Exclusive content not available on the blog
Subscribe today, and get exclusive access forever! (It's free)
*No spam, ever!
As seen on The Guardian, BBC and The Independent.