What is the highest speed you have cycled at?

101-1411 23.5 mph

Originally uploaded by Chris(topher) Lin

Whilst I don’t have a speedometer on my new bicycle, due to the stop start nature of commuting in London back when I was at college I managed to get up to 26 mph, admittedly whilst going down a hill.

What is the highest speed you have ever travelled at on your bicycle?

25 Responses to What is the highest speed you have cycled at?

1. Rich in Colorado 07/01/2008 at 11:00 am #

I honestly don’t know my fastest speed on flat ground, without tailwinds, etc. But I’ve hit 55mph going down a very steep, very straight hill in the mountains near my town. Back in college, I once drafted a dumptruck up to 45mph on flat ground. (My friend was able to keep the pace up to 50mph!) But these days, most of my cycling is between 12 and 18mph, back and forth to work – or even slower, with the kids.

2. 2k3CannondaleF300 12/01/2008 at 11:25 pm #

55-60 Downhill, flatland I can hit 30 when I’m good and warmed up

3. Fred 13/01/2008 at 12:59 am #

I can do 60 km/h (37 mph) on flat land without tailwind. It’s probably worth writing that i’m only 14.

4. Adam 27/05/2009 at 9:24 pm #

I’ve gotten up to speeds of 60 mph or 95 km/h actually between 80 and 95, within a flat 6 km range actually. That was with a 15 speed bike, with all gears maxxed out so. Cheers from Canada.

5. Cychosis 09/06/2009 at 11:47 pm #

70.8km/hr just the other day on a fast descent. Wanted more, but gravity wouldn’t give it up.

6. SarahL 19/06/2009 at 1:12 pm #

43.9mph down a mahoosive hill in Devon whilst cycling Lands End to John O’Groats. Loved it! Tried not to think about the consequences of falling off…

7. pilot 20/06/2009 at 3:43 pm #

I manged to do 54kmh(33mph) on single speed bicycle going from Hyde Park roundabout to Buckingham Palace.

8. Tim 24/07/2009 at 2:10 pm #

I once got up to 15mph on a downhill with a tailwind – well chuffed. I was farting a lot too, which must have helped.

9. k-dog 09/08/2009 at 1:31 am #

56mph in the North of Scotland.

Had been climbing for a long time then got over the top for a long fairly straight descent. Realised I was doing 48mph so I tried to pedal to break 50 – I just spun out so I tucked in and held on. Maxed out at 56mph.

That was about 16 years ago. Can’t do that now – I bottle out about 40.

10. Paul Hodges 17/08/2009 at 10:51 am #

24.5 mph in central London – coming down Waterloo bridge on a rare completely clear traffic afternoon. Not too bad for a 3-speed Sturny Archer commuter in a suit and not even that sweaty for the train a few mins later. The big wheels (217 cm diam) I have on my Bronx – and our impressive combined weight help… I too love having a cycle computer because I’m a natural born geek.

11. Batmaniak 17/12/2009 at 7:16 pm #

76.7 kmph (just shy of 48mph)on a short, but steep, downhill section in Calgary, Canada. I hit the crest at about 50kmph, then pedal like mad as long as the gears can keep up! It has taken a year to add 10kmph onto the first best time on that hill, as well as an assortment of ancient road bikes. The record is on a early 80’s Nishiki 12 speed. Working a stitching together a bike to break 80 with.

• Batmaniak 28/07/2010 at 10:20 pm #

Broke 80 finally… New record 81.4 kmph downhill

12. David 28/07/2010 at 10:15 pm #

I think i’ve gotten to 72 km/h downhill :)

13. Nick G 13/08/2010 at 7:42 pm #

I hit 32mph on a steep descent before hitting a car door which someone kindly opened right in front of me! The bike was destroyed as the front fork snapped and the frame was bent. I wasn’t too badly injured but had whiplash injuries and cut hands but managed to walk home OK (although in a very confused state). The lady was prosecuted by the police for having no wing mirrors and for failing to check it was safe to open her door. I also sued her for personal injury and the cost of a new bike and received a reasonable sum of compensation from her insurer and bought a shiny new bike :) I always wear a helmet now and give parked cars a wide birth – especially if there’s anyone inside.

• Karl 09/09/2010 at 5:43 pm #

Check out: cyclehelmets.org

I am not saying it’s all correct, but definitely interesting to think about.

14. Sam 31/08/2010 at 9:10 pm #

99mph uphill, into a headwind.

Its worth noting that my bike computer (probably like most of yours) is not that accurate due to poor setup.

15. taro 03/12/2010 at 9:26 pm #

ive hit 35 mph in tail wind on the flat im 17

16. Evandro - Brazil 07/06/2011 at 3:16 pm #

I´ve alredy reach 65KM/h, in my MTBike, climbing down an asphalt road.

17. Robert 16/07/2011 at 12:14 am #

51 mph on a mountain bike on public roads down a steep hill from the top of Holme Moss West Yorkshire.

• Dennis 04/08/2011 at 12:18 am #

I hit 97mph just yesterday on my way back from asda’s. i had two bags of shopping hanging from my handlebars too.

• elstavos 04/08/2011 at 5:35 am #

You left out the decimal point.

18. jj 17/08/2011 at 8:52 pm #

My cyclelite app said 76 mph today (going down a hors categorie hill). I don’t buy it though. It was only 50 mph last time and I wasn’t going THAT much faster.

19. Chris 20/07/2012 at 2:07 am #

I can do about 28 flatland, but I cant keep it at that speed for very long; my friends are capable of 33/34. We are all 16.

20. tommy2p 02/08/2012 at 10:55 am #

560 mph between Stanstead and Dublin. Other than that, 50mph on the descent of Ditchling Beacon, London to Brighton 2011. On the flat I hit 32mph on Chingford Road in February and my foot slipped off the pedal and I crashed, breaking my helmet. I have started to use cleats since that occassion. I am 50 at the end of this month.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Bike apps for the iPhone - 06/06/2009

[…] The bicycle computer is one of the most fun gadgets you can have on a bike. Many-a-time I have used it to try and break my speed record. […]