Waterproof cycling trousers

Recently when cycling from Camden to a cinema on Finchley Road there was a huge downpour. One of those where you feel like you are standing under a very powerful shower! Or like you’re under attack from a mob of super soaker carrying youths. Fortunately I had come completely unprepared. The result was arriving at the cinema truly drenched. I was far too soaked to watch the movie so I jumped on my bike and cycled back home to dry off.

When I got home I decided enough was enough and I was going to look around for a pair of waterproof cycling trousers. I reasoned I could shove them in my bag on a day when it looks like it was going to rain and pull them out in bad conditions to throw over my trousers.

Here are some of the well recommended waterproof cycling trousers I came across in-case you’ve ever found yourself in a similar situation..

Altura nightvision waterproof cycling trousersAltura Nightvision Overtrousers

Providing waterproofing the Altura Nightvision waterproof cycling trousers are a good pair of overtrousers to have in case of rain. One of the best parts of the design is the zipped lower leg that allows you to slip in and out of them easily without taking off your shoes. The cycling specific design means that even as your leg is bending during pedalling they still remain comfortable. The Velcro at the bottom means that you can tighten them and keep them out of the cranks. Finally the reflective strips help you be seen.

£38.99 Wiggle or £59.99 from Evans Cycles

waterproof cycling trousers by DHBdhb Wickham eVENT cycling overtrousers

The Wickham waterproof cycling trousers provide more breathability than the Altura Overtrousers. Hence the steep jump in price due to the more expensive materials used. Apart from that they offer much the same benefit as the Altura cycling trousers.

£62.99 Wiggle

Any waterproof trousers

Taking a quick look on Amazon.co.uk or any outdoor shop you’ll definitely find cheaper alternatives than cycling specific waterproof trousers. Unfortunately you do miss out on some of the benefits but if you’re only going to use them rarely then it may be worth saving some money.

Take a look here at the Amazon.co.uk waterproof trousers.

See also:

, , , ,

17 Responses to Waterproof cycling trousers

1. Simon 29/11/2010 at 3:53 pm #

I have a pair of the Alture Nightvision trousers – which are great, but at 6′ 4″ they’re just not long enough for me – any suggestions of alternatives?

• Andreas 29/11/2010 at 5:21 pm #

Stick them on eBay and grab another pair such as the eVent ones. At 6′ 4” You’ll probably need the XXL according to the sizing guide here.

2. Steve 29/11/2010 at 10:41 pm #

I found the Altura waterproofs very good. Although the zips break if you are not careful with them.
    Any suggestion for snow trousers?

• Andreas 30/11/2010 at 10:05 am #

Lol on snow cycling trousers – I’m guessing these listed here will have to do the job!

3. s 30/11/2010 at 5:10 am #

I’ve had Altura Attack, Endura, dhb and Gore waterproof trousers. The Gore are by far the best, function-wise, as with most of their line. Alturas are a close second, looking and feeling the most like something you’d wear the whole day. The rest I wish I’d never laid eyes on.

• Andreas 30/11/2010 at 10:06 am #

Thanks for the heads up! Gore tend to win out in tests though tough to justify the extra money spent

4. Filippo Negroni 30/11/2010 at 10:33 am #

For someone on a particularly tight budget, may I also recommend the Regatta waterproof over-trousers, which sell for around £5.
    They are not cycling specific, and might require you to carry a reflective band to keep the bottom seam out of the cranks if you don’t have a chain guard.
    But they do sell a kids version which my son uses when I cycle with him to school.
    As a ‘use once or twice a year’ sort of over-trousers, you won’t feel too bad keeping them around just in case.

• Filippo Negroni 30/11/2010 at 10:53 am #

I just checked and apparently the Regatta over-trousers have a RRP of around £15. But can be found from online retailers from as little as £5.

5. el-gordo 30/11/2010 at 1:33 pm #

Useful article, especially after cycling in to work through the snow this morning. The rain doesn’t normally bother me too much, but this morning was absoloutely freezing. Definitely putting some of these on the winter wish list!

• Andreas 30/11/2010 at 2:43 pm #

Glad I got the timing right! It is very cold out there today and yes these trousers to massively help as do knee and arm warmers which you might want to investigate (though I’ve always found them a little pricey)

6. Douglas 30/11/2010 at 1:52 pm #

Andreas, do I recall you mentioning ski trousers previously? The issue I have with cycle-specific togs is that they’re often too baggy and the velcro fasteners come unhinged with wear. Something more fitted and thicker would be great for cold days – suggestions anyone?

• Andreas 30/11/2010 at 2:42 pm #

That’s right. I’ve relied successfully on a pair of ski trousers that have served me well. Can definitely recommend that to anyone too as long as they don’t get caught in the chain.

7. OfficeHoward 30/11/2010 at 5:06 pm #

used black (£69 iq) tights today as it was snowing, nice and snug, :-)

8. Lenny 09/12/2010 at 5:45 pm #

I have a pair of these, superb, prob one tof the best i have ever purchased!

9. Snow Traction Devices 19/02/2011 at 9:47 am #

http://www.portabletowtruck.com/ – The benefits of a portable tow truck are umpteen. Get a diverse range of features from the tire traction device too. You can even find snow chains alternative so that it will be easy for you when stuck in snow without snow traction devices.

10. dieta 25/10/2011 at 5:05 pm #

Generally I don’t learn post on blogs, however I would like to say that this write-up very pressured me to check out and do it! Your writing style has been surprised me. Thanks, quite great article.

11. Mikey 24/03/2013 at 1:29 pm #

Altura waterproofs always get my vote, very good gear