UltimateMobiles iPhone bike mount

Ultimatemobiles iPhone bike mount on handlebars with view of Wandle River behind

I’m losing count of the number of iPhone bike mounts I’ve reviewed. When I initially setup London Cyclist blog I didn’t think to myself: “One day I’ll test every single iPhone bike mount ever made.” But here we are and it seems to be becoming reality!

The latest one is sent to me by UltimateMobiles and retails at £19.99. Which by iPhone bike mount standards is good.

UltimateAddons iphone bike mount

On my top 10 list of things I don’t want to ever happen to me, number 7 is to watch my iPhone fling out of its bike mount and make a plop sound, as it falls into the nearest river.

Therefore, with the UltimateMobiles bike mount, there was one thing I was looking for: security.

Fortunately, this is where the mount gets five stars. It is clipped very securely in place and can’t be released unless you press a button at the back. After doing a lot of bumpy riding I couldn’t feel happier on this front.

Next up is waterproofing

In my Testing iPhone Bike Mounts Bible, that I keep next to my bed at night, the next most important thing I look for is waterproofing. If a mobile phone was designed to swim, then logically, we’d all be making calls underwater.

With it’s plastic cover and zipped up design all factors were pointing towards the conclusion that the iPhone bike mount would be waterproof.

After some horrible days with lots of clear skies and run-down-to-the-park-now-and-soak-up-the-sun weather we finally got what I’d been hoping for. A rainy day.

Off I hopped on my exciting daily errands to the post office. After experiencing the world’s slowest moving queue I pedalled back home in the heavy rain.

Pulling off my soaked cycling jacket and sitting down in my wet trousers on my housemates freshly ironed shirts, I inspected my iPhone and the cover.

Conclusion: Moist. This bike mount is not getting a green tick and smiley face in the waterproof category.

However, in the light rain, which is probably what all us cyclists will mostly experience anyway, it should cope fine.

Next up: Screen Viewability

My third category is Screen Viewability. For those of us who don’t speak Andreas, that equates to how well you can see the screen.

I had no problems in this area and whilst of course there was plenty of reflection I was able to see the screen and use the iPhone whilst inside the mount.

Is this the ultimate iPhone bike mount?

But it is my new favourite iPhone bike mount. I like how my iPhone feels secure, I like that it’s inside a zipped up cover and I like that it’s impossible to move it unless I press a button at the back. The downside: You won’t be making calls underwater any time soon, as the cover will cope only with light rain.

Overall: I’m impressed and would recommend the UltimateMobiles iPhone bike mount and cover. Available from:

, ,

10 Responses to UltimateMobiles iPhone bike mount

1. Rachel 07/06/2011 at 3:35 pm #

This is typical, I only, today; ordered the Tigra iPhone 4 one!

2. Evan 07/06/2011 at 5:42 pm #

I recently made the jump and picked a smartphone mount and purchased this one. It ticks all the boxes for me.

But the main thing it does: It fits my HTC Desire S *and* its protective case! I don’t have to remove or swap covers to use it.

3. Jeremy 07/06/2011 at 7:39 pm #

Can you plug an external battery, like the pebble, in while using this mount?
    Jeremy

• Andreas 08/06/2011 at 7:35 am #

Good question Jeremy. You could unzip the bottom of the pack a little and feed a cable through. This shouldn’t compromise safety of the bike mount too much.

4. Nigel 10/06/2011 at 11:56 am #

In answer to Jeremy’s question – Yes you can with the Biologic Bike Mount™ for iPhone 4. I use it all the time on my Brompton. I’ve had a look at most of them and this is the best in my opinion.

I use it together with a Trent Dual-port Pack IMP50D 5000mAh battery.

Depending on where you put the battery you may wan to get an xlSync,
    an Extra Long Sync Cable for iPad, iPhone & iPod.

But don’t get the duraSync Durable Sync Cable for iPad, iPhone & iPod as it’s too fat for the mount.

5. Lindsey 13/06/2011 at 9:19 pm #

I have exactly the same type of mount for my Android and the first time I used it was in a really heavy downpour. My phone was still dry after my 20 minute journey.

However, you might get some condensation on the inside if your phone is in use, and therefore quite warm.

I’m really happy with it. Also, it comes with a thick lanyard to carry it round your neck when not on your bike.

• Andreas 13/06/2011 at 9:54 pm #

Hi Lindsey – pleased to hear you’ve had different results from me on the waterproofing front. Maybe I just had a faulty model?

• Lindsey 13/06/2011 at 10:07 pm #

or perhaps with continuous use the zip doesnt seal so well – i’ll see if it gets any worse after a few more downpours!

6. Craig 14/06/2011 at 8:49 pm #

we are developing a waterproof battery that clips between our attachments and holders/cases. Will be ready at the end of July.

7. Jeremy 14/06/2011 at 11:49 pm #

Thanks to Nigel for his comments on the biologic. Unfortunately, though it looks supercool I am sure the pebble’s rather large iPhone adapter will not fit. I don’t envisage needing to use an external battery often, but am doing Birmingham to Oxford in a big charity ride soon and need my iPhone to last 10 hours.
    Jeremy