“AMERICA! The land ruled by the car! We invented it!” So howled a lady as I was walking towards Clever Cycles in Portland. Indeed, I thought to myself as I hurried past. That’s exactly what I’m here to investigate. Getting here wasn’t easy. As I didn’t wish to rent a car, the journey was a […]
Archive | Break out of London RSS feed for this section
If like me, January is the month that you start to set your goals for the year ahead, then you might be considering entering your first cycling event. Sportives have become very popular over the last few years. The challenge of riding a long distance, over challenging terrain appeals to a lot of cyclists. Read […]
If you are looking for a rather spectacular challenge for next year, then how about this? The Deloitte Ride Across Britain is perhaps the UK’s best known long distance cycling event. It covers 960 miles in 9 days and is open to 700 riders that are fully supported. Whether you ride for the scenery, for […]
This is a guest post by Tim Moss of The Next Challenge. As a kid, I was always scared of cycling. I knew how to ride a bike but I could never pluck up the courage to cycle the two or three miles to my school. But I moved to London to study at UCL […]
This is a guest post by Hannah of Visit Wales mountain biking website. Well, it’s proving to be a fantastic summer of sport isn’t it? To build on the excitement of the greatest sporting event in the world taking place on our doorstep, Visit Wales is challenging people to head for Wales on holiday and […]
If you want to break out of London for the weekend then where can you cycle to? That was the question posed to me by London Cyclist reader David. Below I post some of the classic destinations along with route suggestions where possible. Feel free to add your comment if there’s a cycling destination you […]
Guest post by Peter Williamson “Early one morning, as the mist rose above a willow lined stream, we set off down a remote country lane in the gorgeous Loire Valley, soon becoming completely immersed in the peace and tranquillity of our idyllic surroundings. This was how we’d always dreamed a cycling holiday should be – […]
There were many things I expected of Cuba before I landed. Cars from a bygone era, shops with empty shelves and wall murals of Che Guevara and the revolution. However, on my flight in to the country my mind was elsewhere. I was worried about actually being allowed past emigration. As a British citizen with […]
What do quaint seaside villages, great seafood, picture-perfect medieval towns, stone age monuments dotting the landscape, crepes, galettes and hundreds of kilometers of car-free cycling paths have in common? They are just a few of the special treats to be enjoyed on a cycling holiday in Brittany! Whether you go for a week or a […]
Around this time of the year, it’s unavoidable to take a look at your belly, reminisce about the many big, delicious meals and think about how you are going to lose that Christmas weight. The answer is of course cycling! However, take a look at the window and you’ll soon have those gloomy January feelings. […]
Guest post by Chris Bean They call it London-on-Sea, so it definitely fits on this blog. Right? Good. Biking in Brighton is, well, not that different from biking in London – there are potholes, buses, taxis and gormless pedestrians to keep you amused. The whole experience is however, distinctly provincial compared to riding around London, […]
It’s 7 p.m. in Tokyo and we are making our way towards the neon lights of Shibuya. It’s a short walk to the metro station, but in just 60 seconds we encounter 17 cyclists. All are cycling on the pavement. It’s clear cycling is popular in Tokyo, but where are cyclists actually permitted? It seems […]
Get our free guide to cycling in London by joining the London Cyclist newsletter:
As mentioned in:
- Best rechargeable bike lights 01/04/2015
- Mitie London Revolution 2015 – Extra camping spots released! 25/03/2015
- The simplest bike storage solution 24/03/2015
- 10 of the greatest joys for cyclists 16/03/2015
- Discounted bike servicing in 17 local London bike shops – offer ended! 13/03/2015
- How a cyclist sees London 09/03/2015
- 10 things I wish I’d known when I first started cycling 11/04/2013
- The best bike lock 21/11/2012
- Bicycle insurance 07/09/2011
- How to start cycling 20/01/2011
- Buying a second hand bike in London 25/08/2010
- 7 mistakes you are making with your cycling and how you can correct them 28/04/2010
- 35 London Cycling Routes with GPS 02/03/2010
- Mark: The Volt 50 is an outstanding light, but the mount...
- Amoeba: Lights that dazzle are illegal. Having said that, ...
- peta rose: Driving home along Southend on Sea sea front last ...
- mark: i think i have the answer to the oh so obvious dan...
- Eoghan: I've started using one of these, cost about £40 ...
- Esther: Any ideas for storing a tricycle?...
Guide to waterproof cycling jackets
We've reviewed some of the best waterproof cycling jackets