The London Bike Show is on next week

It’s that time of the year again when we all descent on the London Bike Show to take a look into what the bicycle companies have in store for us in 2012.

The show starts on Thursday the 12th of Jan at 10am and runs until Sunday the 15th. The busiest day is always the Saturday. However, this is also when most the attractions are on.

This year in particular the Training Hub looks to be of much interest. For £99 you get a full assessment of your cycling performance and you are given tips on how you can improve. Whilst that won’t appeal to the “just want to get from A to B” side of me it get’s my “I want to ride faster than my friends” competitive side tingling in anticipation. The £99 test includes “Fascial Stretch Therapy” and Postural Testing. If that makes you screw up your face wondering what on earth the sentence you’ve just read means, then there’s more on the website.

My recommendations from last year:

• Take cash – the few cash points inside are likely to be busy and you are after all visiting the world’s largest bike shop
  • Use Cycle Superhighway 3 to get there – they’ll be cycle parking outside
  • Factor in some time to wonder around the Boat Show and the Outdoor Show

For tickets click here.

, ,

10 Responses to The London Bike Show is on next week

1. Jon Marshall 04/01/2012 at 11:55 am #

The London International Invitational bike polo tournament is happening during the Bike Show 2012… we’ll also be holding “try polo” sessions on the Friday, see you there!

• Andreas 04/01/2012 at 10:24 pm #

Thanks Jon for the heads up

2. Iain 04/01/2012 at 3:41 pm #

Am I the only person who is put off by the entry charge? Paying £16 to basically go shopping doesn’t strike me as worthwhile, yes I might get a bargain, but it’s January and the sales are on everywhere! Maybe you get £16′s worth of free stuff inside, but then make it free to get in and sell me the samples at a low price! I’m not that interested in seeing stars of cycling on a stage, unless it’s a stage race! Of course if free tickets turn up at work… .

• Andreas 04/01/2012 at 10:25 pm #

Definitely won’t be of interest to everyone. I’m guessing it appeals mostly to gear heads. Obviously my appeal is to find interesting stuff for the blog.

3. Amanda O'Dell 04/01/2012 at 8:11 pm #

Am wondering how much of this will be aimed at ‘normal’ cyclists, whatever they are! I’m shopping around for something to commute on at the moment and seriously dithering over different styles of bike. Now sure if this would offer me lots of choice, bewilderment, or just go straight over my head…

• Andreas 04/01/2012 at 10:26 pm #

Hey Amanda – how long is your commute going to be? I think you are probably just as well off heading into a local bike shop and checking out the prices there. From memory it was mostly high end bikes although they did have a second hand bike section last year round but I’m not sure if Going Going Bike will be there this year.

• Amanda O'Dell 04/01/2012 at 10:33 pm #

Thanks Andreas – I’m doing 6 miles each way, so not the longest of journeys but enough that I want to be comfortable. Am waiting for new ranges to be delivered to Evans so I can look at what I’m interested in! Have decided to go, but mostly so my son can drool over the ‘Outdoor Show’ gear ;-)

• Andreas 04/01/2012 at 11:48 pm #

You’ll probably be looking for a road bike then. Obviously, last years bikes provide a nice saving so don’t get too caught up in the “latest model syndrome”. Enjoy the show!

4. Tim Benson 06/01/2012 at 8:35 am #

As always looking forward to the show hoping it will be a bit larger than last year. Two points if going by bike and parking outside take good locks remember it is Canning Town/ Silvertown. I prefer to take the DLR and not worry! Secondly OK the admission price is a deterrence but you do get the outdoor show and the boat show. Always good to see how the other half aspires to live! If you are going on Thursday see you there.

5. Emma 06/01/2012 at 10:12 am #

I managed to get a free ticket by volunteering for the LCC stall. Cannot wait to go on Saturday! Will be my first year and I will go armed with cash for all the gadget I don’t really need on my bike.

If you’re around on Sunday, pop by the LCC stand and I’ll tell you all about ‘Going Dutch’ :)