“Sorry mate, I didn’t see you”. Is a catchphrase used by drivers up and down the country. Is this a driver being careless and dangerous or did the driver genuinely not see you? According to a report by John Sullivan of the RAF, the answer may have important repercussions for the way we train drivers […]
Tag Archives | safety
We have written a number of posts on safe cycling here on London Cyclist (7 mistakes you are making with your cycling and How to make your next bike ride safer than the last) and I’m glad to say they are always popular reads. This proves to me that you guys are interested in doing […]
Have you ever heard any of the below advice that is frequently thrown around: Wear high-vis Wear a helmet Wear appropriate clothing Typically, this will come from a journalist writing for a car publication or someone with a deadline, and not enough time to really research what cyclists can do to stay safe. There’s nothing […]
In New York City, the Department of Transportation (the equivalent of our TfL) has unveiled a new initiative aiming to reduce the number of doorings. This is when a driver or passenger opens their door in the way of a cyclist. Something that here in the UK, is illegal. Part of the campaign involves 26,000 […]
Many of the railings outside old Victorian homes are made of weak wrought iron. Even if you’ve got one of the best bike locks, the thief can easily get to your bike by cutting the iron. Special thank you to London Cyclist reader Daniel for allowing me to share his picture. See also: Safe locking […]
On a recent ride along the Camden High Street London Cyclist reader Kylie witnessed a cyclist being doored. Unbelievably, instead of apologising and checking the cyclist was okay the driver aggressively told him off for getting in the way. Kylie along with another passer-by decided to intervene. Initially, the cyclist insisted he was fine and […]
Bike A – Spotted Outside Tate Modern Bike B – Spotted Outside Marylebone Station Bike C – Spotted in Kilburn Bike D – Spotted in Kilburn Rank in order which of these bikes you think will be stolen first and why! See also: London Cyclist bike lock guide
The big news reverberating today around the London cycling blogosphere and reaching the mouths of cyclists sipping their morning cup of Joe in Look Mum No Hands, is about the planned changes to Bow Roundabout. Nothing if finalised yet. However, it looks as though we will soon be seeing the first ever phased traffic lights […]
This table lists the cyclists killed in London in 2011: Gary Mason (48, male) Sandy Lane South Daniel Cox (28, male) Dalston Junction Tom Barrett (44, male) A40 David Poblet (20, male) Tanner Street Paula Jurek (20, female) Camden Road Gavin Taylor (40, male) Mildmay Grove North Naoko (34, female) Queen Caroline Street Thomas Stone […]
Here’s a selection of the best bike lights to see you home. Four of the best front bike lights Saving money: Cateye HL-EL 130 (front and rear set for £19.11) – a set of lights that get the job done, don’t cost too much and will last for years. I had the same set of […]
Here are three simple rules that should be etched into your mind to help you stay safe whilst out cycling in London. 1# Thou shall never undertake a moving vehicle There’s a reason they put this on all Boris Bikes! When you pass a vehicle on the inside (left) that’s considered undertaking. A driver most […]
It’s fairly easy to get your bike stolen and in this article I’ll talk you through some of the best ways of doing so. I know not everyone wants to have their bike stolen, in the same way, so please feel free to choose one of the methods below that most suits you. Method 1: […]
Join 9,241 fellow London Cyclists who receive our free weekly newsletter:
As mentioned in:
- 5 fun bikes you should try to ride 17/04/2014
- Changes to make to your cycle commute in summer 15/04/2014
- Cycling tech that’s from the future 14/04/2014
- 7 London bike shops you should follow on Twitter 08/04/2014
- RideLondon-Surrey 100: Our top tips and your place in the 2014 event 08/04/2014
- 10 weird and wonderful accessories you can buy for your bike 07/04/2014
- 10 things I wish I’d known when I first started cycling 11/04/2013
- The best bike lock 21/11/2012
- Bicycle insurance 07/09/2011
- How to start cycling 20/01/2011
- Buying a second hand bike in London 25/08/2010
- 7 mistakes you are making with your cycling and how you can correct them 28/04/2010
- 35 London Cycling Routes with GPS 02/03/2010
- Kieren: "GPX Reader" on Android seems the best for me so...
- David Bates: If it's something fun and different you want to t...
- Carolyn: You missed out the pedelec.... I ride one and it'...
- Jack Oh: Triple tandem! Three is a magic number.......
- Sofia: Love these!...
- Sinni: What about a combination of the tiny bike and the ...
Guide to waterproof cycling jackets
We've reviewed some of the best waterproof cycling jackets