By Summer 2011 two new Cycle Superhighways will be crossing through London. I wanted to see how they were coming along so I posed the question on Twitter.. @suspectpackage cs8, painted the road blue a bit, wouldn’t call it progress though, just back from Holland http://yfrog.com/h87rnvrsj @ianbar33 CS8 getting on but surface not good between [...]
Tag Archives | cycling in london
Stuck behind a huge bus blocking the full lane I leaned over to the left to see if there was any way past it. No way, jose. I leaned to the right to see if there was room to manoeuvre to the right. Not unless I could suddenly decrease my mass to that of a [...]
1. Expansion of the Boris Bike Scheme The hugely successful-even-if-plagued-by-more-problems-than-Windows-ME Barclays Cycle Hire Scheme is set for expansion east, in time for the 2012 Olympics. The lucky Londoners in Bethnal Green, Bow, Canary Wharf, Mile End and Poplar will be next to see docking stations popping up. The expanded Boris Bike scheme will eventually cover [...]
During yesterdays tube strike the media inevitably turned their attention to cycling as a way of getting to work. This provided some great publicity for cycling and the BBC even invited me in to talk about it. To get there I cycled through the mayhem of rush hour. I thought it was pretty mad out [...]
Eyeing MiCycle in Islington from the outside you imagine it looks like your typical bike shop. Shiny bikes on display and bike mechanics carefully reviving neglected bikes. But something more is happening here behind the scenes. You could say MiCycle is part of a new breed of bike shops. I try to open the door [...]
Today I’m releasing a second eBook to subscribers called “Guide to Cycling in London”. Most of the content from it is applicable to cycling in any city. It is a 37 page eBook filled with great cycling advice catered for everyday cyclists. Here is quick overview of what you get: How to find the perfect [...]
Last Saturday was the Dunwich Dynamo. A 200km ride through the night from London Fields to a beach near Dunwich. I’m not one for preparation but this time I stocked up on the advice. From previous blog posts such in the Guardian Bike Blog and forums such as LFGSS. I took with me lots of [...]
Cast your mind back to the first day you started cycling in the city. Don’t worry this isn’t a therapy class where I now start to ask you “how did it make you feel?”. I’d charge for that kind of service and you’d probably want to demand your money back. If you started cycling 50 [...]
Today the Barclay’s Cycle Superhighways were launched at a big press and public event. TfL kindly invited me along and also promised me a couple of quick questions with the Mayor. Of course this was too good an offer to pass by so I went down after canvassing everyone on Twitter for questions to ask. [...]
Cycling over to meet Nigel Hardy, the project manager for the cycle superhighways, I had one question running through my mind. “Why didn’t they just call it blue lanes and avoid all the hassle and criticism they’ve drawn?” Soon this question along with another barrage of questions from London Cyclist readers would be answered. My [...]
I’m often weighing up in my head who are the least and most courteous drivers in London. My opinion often changes. A white van driver fails to stop for me as I’m about to walk across a pelican crossing and they quickly shoot up to the top. A HGV driver gives me no space to [...]
Jumping red lights, talking on mobiles, cycling on pavements and driving into advanced stop boxes. All behaviours we are either guilty of or victim to. The message being spread by TfL is for all of us to be more courteous to each other on the roads and that nobody is above the law. One of [...]
Get our free guide to cycling in London by joining the London Cyclist newsletter:
As mentioned in:
- Bring your camera: 6 great photogenic spots to cycle to in London 15/05/2013
- Rapha & Raeburn City Wind Jacket review 13/05/2013
- Finding a bicycle utopia in Belize 10/05/2013
- Vulpine Merino T-Shirt review 09/05/2013
- How westminster plans to keep the cyclists out and Simon Cowell in 08/05/2013
- MITIE London Revolution is now the largest multi-day sportive in the UK 07/05/2013
- Bill F: Some opinions from a brompton owner. I bought my B...
- Steve@Tern: Useful article, thanks. I once made the mistake ...
- manual install cccam on dm500: hey there and thank you for your information – I...
- online movies: merci !Clarisonic Mia Sale In england, lassen Sie ...
- http://idi-catteau.com: Hi there, I discovered your blog by the use of G...
- tbefshbxk: cheap gucci purses she like best like online...
Guide to waterproof cycling jackets
We've reviewed some of the best waterproof cycling jackets