The recent Cycling Scotland advert, told drivers to treat a cyclist like a horse. That’s all well and good, and makes for a rather funny video, but how should cyclists treat horses and horse riders? Jessica Drake, a member of Horses and Road Safety Awareness, wanted to share with me a few of her tips as […]
Archive | Safe cycling in London RSS feed for this section
The capital’s cycling provision keeps cycling campaigners in business; a list of junctions that weren’t designed for cycling would include 99% of the junctions in London. But what are the worst of the worst? The real places that cyclists dread to go? Here are twelve infamous candidates. Images courtesy of Google Street View. Southampton Row/Theobalds […]
I love to ride my bike. I have done so for years – it’s a great way of getting around and I like to ride for sport, too. Despite the fact I love the feeling of whooshing along tarmac, with recent crashes grabbing the headlines, it’s hard not to let worry creep in when commuting on busy […]
You’ve just spent £3200 on a Trek Madone road bike and now you want to go out and ride it. But, sensibly, you decide to grab some insurance first. You checkout the best bicycle insurance options and head over to ETA to get your bike covered. Enter the post code, value of the bike plus accessories. You spit out your coffee […]
A new film by the Met Police is designed to show the dangers that can arise from a typical interaction between a cyclist and a driver. It’s a useful film, which shows how easy it is for a cyclist to disappear in a blind spot. It’s certainly well intentioned and I hope that as many […]
Recent headlines have sent a shock through the cycling community. Five cyclists killed in nine days, bringing the death toll this year to 13. Unmentioned, are the hundreds of cyclists to suffer severe injuries. The Save Our Cyclists petition, as well as a flash ride spearheaded by the LCC and planned Stop the killing die-in […]
“I am desperately worried about you cycling in London. You are not a driver and don’t realise the hazards of cycling in such a busy area even with cycle paths. I was knocked off my bike when I was young and cars and lorries appear from nowhere.” – A concerned mother of a cyclist in […]
While cycling the streets of London there is plenty to keep you distracted: honking motorists, distracted pedestrians, traffic lights and slovenly cyclists. On a long bike ride, it could be nice to be able to listen to some music or the radio. Ah, if only there was some safe way to allow the avid cyclist […]
It’s everyone’s worst nightmare. You return one day to find your bike has been stolen. Then, you spot it for sale on eBay. What do you do? Confront the seller directly? Just pay them? Contact eBay? Contact the police? Sometimes miraculous recoveries do happen. This is the story of how one London cyclist, Stuart, got […]
If you sat and thought now about the number of times you’ve been riding happily along, minding your own manners and rules of the road, only to have an angry driver honk, scowl or shout a few colourful words your way? Ever wondered why? Was that guy just having a bad day or did you […]
One of the perils of cycling in London is the likelihood of experiencing some bad driving, and the chances are that you’ve been on the wrong end of a careless taxi driver, a wreckless motorcyclist or a tired TFL bus driver who’s thoughtlessly crept into the bike lane. Of course, having a close call due […]
Let me build some context about my friend DJ Sean.. Sean goes surfing and comes back with a huge cut to his forehead that needs stiches. A few days later he goes surfing again and comes back with a sea urchin stuck in his foot. He goes to the beach and comes back with a […]
Join 9,241 fellow London Cyclists who receive our free weekly newsletter:
As mentioned in:
- Changes to make to your cycle commute in summer 15/04/2014
- Cycling tech that’s from the future 14/04/2014
- 7 London bike shops you should follow on Twitter 08/04/2014
- RideLondon-Surrey 100: Our top tips and your place in the 2014 event 08/04/2014
- 10 weird and wonderful accessories you can buy for your bike 07/04/2014
- Bike saddles: Choosing the perfect perch 06/04/2014
- 10 things I wish I’d known when I first started cycling 11/04/2013
- The best bike lock 21/11/2012
- Bicycle insurance 07/09/2011
- How to start cycling 20/01/2011
- Buying a second hand bike in London 25/08/2010
- 7 mistakes you are making with your cycling and how you can correct them 28/04/2010
- 35 London Cycling Routes with GPS 02/03/2010
- Kate: Mik, you'll be fine esp if you do some lbs group ...
- Rob: Thanks for lots of useful info, which is what foru...
- tom: Hmm... again a very roadie centric article from Lo...
- Dezzer: Do we take the mudgaurds off or leave them on just...
- mez: I too have and love a Brompton Mine is a 2 speed ...
- Justine: What about this? The Velorackr; unique bike rack f...
Guide to waterproof cycling jackets
We've reviewed some of the best waterproof cycling jackets