Bike theft isn’t nice, we all know that. Many cyclists have experienced that sinking feeling, upon returning to the spot where the bike once stood to find nothing but… well, nothing. Perhaps a broken lock if the thief felt like rubbing it in. To prevent this happening to you, we wrote ‘three steps to theft […]
Archive | Safe cycling in London RSS feed for this section
Whilst we all go to sleep at night dreaming of better cycling infrastructure in London, until that day comes, it’s worth recognising the dangers and how we can avoid them. I was luckily enough to receive a GoPro action camera from Argos to go around London, find danger and film it. The result is the video below, which if you enjoy, […]
Cycle safety campaigns are always embarked upon with our best interests at heart. Some of them are aimed at cyclists, others at drivers. Some are incredibly helpful, insightful and hopefully educational. Some of them less so. Here’s a look at the best and worst cycle safety and driver awareness messages we’ve seen… Cyclist Stay Back […]
Running London Cyclist I regularly hear stories of cyclists who’ve been hit by drivers who’ve been turning left, or who’ve come out of a junction without looking or any one of one of tens of other scenarios. I decided to interview one such cyclist to hear about what he did next. 1. Can you please describe the […]
A few weeks ago we had a look at how to have the most secure bike in London. There is nothing more devastating than returning to the spot where you left your bike to find only an empty space. However, bike theft has an annoying little sibling – and that’s saddle theft. Having your saddle […]
There is something absolutely soul destroying about leaving work after a long day, making your way towards where you left your bike that morning – and finding an empty space. The reactions go a bit like this – First confusion: I thought I left it here. Second: disbelief – surely not. Third: irrepressible anger. Not […]
The recent Cycling Scotland advert, told drivers to treat a cyclist like a horse. That’s all well and good, and makes for a rather funny video, but how should cyclists treat horses and horse riders? Jessica Drake, a member of Horses and Road Safety Awareness, wanted to share with me a few of her tips as […]
The capital’s cycling provision keeps cycling campaigners in business; a list of junctions that weren’t designed for cycling would include 99% of the junctions in London. But what are the worst of the worst? The real places that cyclists dread to go? Here are twelve infamous candidates. Images courtesy of Google Street View. Southampton Row/Theobalds […]
I love to ride my bike. I have done so for years – it’s a great way of getting around and I like to ride for sport, too. Despite the fact I love the feeling of whooshing along tarmac, with recent crashes grabbing the headlines, it’s hard not to let worry creep in when commuting on busy […]
You’ve just spent £3200 on a Trek Madone road bike and now you want to go out and ride it. But, sensibly, you decide to grab some insurance first. You checkout the best bicycle insurance options and head over to ETA to get your bike covered. Enter the post code, value of the bike plus accessories. You spit out your coffee […]
A new film by the Met Police is designed to show the dangers that can arise from a typical interaction between a cyclist and a driver. It’s a useful film, which shows how easy it is for a cyclist to disappear in a blind spot. It’s certainly well intentioned and I hope that as many […]
Recent headlines have sent a shock through the cycling community. Five cyclists killed in nine days, bringing the death toll this year to 13. Unmentioned, are the hundreds of cyclists to suffer severe injuries. The Save Our Cyclists petition, as well as a flash ride spearheaded by the LCC and planned Stop the killing die-in […]
Join 9,241 fellow London Cyclists who receive our free weekly newsletter:
As mentioned in:
- 5 novelty jerseys for your cycling wardrobe 01/09/2014
- Mountain biking in Devon’s Haldon Forest 01/09/2014
- 9 signs the summer is coming to an end 28/08/2014
- Folding bikes unpacked 26/08/2014
- Pocket High Street: The anti-Amazon saviour of the high street 21/08/2014
- Mount your iPhone 5 or 5S to your bike handlebars 20/08/2014
- 10 things I wish I’d known when I first started cycling 11/04/2013
- The best bike lock 21/11/2012
- Bicycle insurance 07/09/2011
- How to start cycling 20/01/2011
- Buying a second hand bike in London 25/08/2010
- 7 mistakes you are making with your cycling and how you can correct them 28/04/2010
- 35 London Cycling Routes with GPS 02/03/2010
- Ross: Cavenewt. That is what you read all the time in...
- Alehouse Rock: ETIENNE----It's a jungle out there, isn't it? An...
- Norma: Link exchange is nothing else but it is just placi...
- weight loss surgery: Although HCG is only produced by females, HCG is a...
- KM7 enhancement products (: The other day, while I was at work, my sister stol...
- Alehouse Rock: Plus 1 to that! A.L....
35 London Cycle Routes with GPS
For just £9.95 you can discover 35 amazing cycling routes in London for training, days out with the kids and traffic free riding. The eBook also comes with GPS coordinates.
Click here to find out more now