By Summer 2011 two new Cycle Superhighways will be crossing through London. I wanted to see how they were coming along so I posed the question on Twitter..
- @suspectpackage cs8, painted the road blue a bit, wouldn’t call it progress though, just back from Holland 😛 http://yfrog.com/h87rnvrsj
- @ianbar33 CS8 getting on but surface not good between Vaux Bridge and Chelsea Bridge as I now have the blue over my frame and top!! Not happy
- @angus_fx there’s been blue paint on Battersea High St for a couple of months now. Don’t know if that counts as "progress" :o)
- @rokav enjoyed a cycle along a largely-complete section of CS8 on Grosvenor Road on Sunday
Armed with the knowledge there would at least be a few strips of blue paint to checkout (so exciting!) I went along with my camera to investigate.
“Oh no, we’ve run out of blue paint. Where’s the nearest B&Q?”
The above picture shows the previously dilapidated green cycle route. The new blue route is now located on the road. Not really an improvement. If anything a beginner cyclist, which is exactly who we need to encourage, would probably feel much safer on the previous route. Hopefully, if the planners have any sense, which we know they rarely do when it comes to cycling provision, they will build a barrier to keep cars out of the cycle lane.
This picture above is far more encouraging. A nice big wide blue lane that has plenty of room for cyclists to overtake. Full points for this part of Cycle Superhighway 8 go to TfL!
Unfortunately, the final picture was less encouraging. When I was asked what I thought about the motorbikes in the bus lanes trial I would of given a more favourable answer if motorbikes hadn’t translated the trial as permission to ride in all cycle lanes too.
I recognise it’s a little harsh to critique Cycle Superhighway 8 even before it’s finished so I’ll be revisiting when it is officially finished.
Note: Nicole is meant to be posting on Tuesday but she’s very busy at the moment with work so you are stuck with me!
- Is there anything super about the cycle superhighways?
- Two very different visions of the cycle superhighways
- Cycle superhighways latest let-down
Join 9,241 fellow cyclists who are subscribed to the London Cyclist newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get...
- Advice on the best cycling gear
- A Friday roundup of all the latest London cycling news
- Exclusive content not available on the blog
Subscribe today, and get exclusive access forever! (It's free)
*No spam, ever!
As seen on The Guardian, BBC and The Independent.