I recently put the question out on Twitter about which bike rack I should get. Here is what my Twitter followers had to say:
- alexbutcher @londoncyclist Tubus cro-mo rack. Will last you a life time and can be repaired if required. A truly awesome product
- jmwollny @londoncyclist Blackburn and Tubus are very good
- EnekOraintxe @londoncyclist A good bike rack? Try any Tubus or their cheaper brand Racktime. German = strong but light
- eldridge_grade @londoncyclist I’m after a Blackburn EXP-2. Cheapest I’ve found so far ….. http://bit.ly/bELyIB
- vnvobit @londoncyclist I have a Topeak one which is fine, coupled with these http://j.mp/9oTauy great capacity and clips to keep them secure
- NicoleHammond @londoncyclist agree, bag off back = essential in hot weather. Just got nifty cheapo QR one from Decathlon but bog-standard bolt-on=tougher
With the Tubus being such a highly recommended brand I took a look around. A little expensive for my first bike rack. So I tried out Blackburn and Topeak. I most liked the look of the Topeak ones so I’ll be testing out the Topeak Super Tourist DX F/Disc which fits both bikes with and without disc brakes.
Why buy a bike pannier rack?
With the bike being my main mode of transport and a weekly visit to the supermarket on the cards for the foreseeable future it seems like a logical choice. Carrying all that supermarket shopping weight on my back is simply not an enjoyable experience. Also, as I go on more long distance cycling trips it is illogical for me to still be carrying everything on my back. Therefore, the panniers are a good addition that for now I have only resisted for weight and appearance reasons.
I’ll let you know how I get along.
UPDATE: I’ve now tested out the Topeak Super Tourist DX and given my thoughts.
- Make your escape in 2010
- Abus Granit Steel O Flex Review
- 7 mistakes you are making with your cycling
- Bike repair straight to your door
Join 5,112 fellow cyclists who are subscribed to the London Cyclist newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get...
- Advice on the best cycling gear
- A Friday roundup of all the latest London cycling news
- Exclusive content not available on the blog
Subscribe today, and get exclusive access forever! (It's free)
*No spam, ever!
As seen on The Guardian, BBC and The Independent.