Pic by: Debarati06
Best of the web is a London Cyclist monthly series that highlights the best cycling content from around the web. We go out there and find all of the best bits so you don’t have to!
Well another month and year comes to a close and I hope everyone has thoroughly enjoyed their Christmas.
This month it has been snowing in London and we have been talking about winter cycling gloves to keep our fingers from falling off. There has also been big debate about what to do when approaching a traffic light and what we cyclists think about the proposed £100 fines for anti-social cycling. Review wise I’ve praised Al Humphreys book, the Kryptonite New York 3000 and the Bicycle Travellers Blueprint for those of us on the hunt for some good bike tours in 2010.
Let’s also take a look at what has been happening on other cycling blogs..
- Guardian asks: do cyclists need speed restricting?
- Realcycling takes a look at London’s new contra-flow lanes
- Islington is introducing 20mph borough-wide speed limit
- Evans cycles have done a good comparison of their rechargeable high-end lights if anyone is in the market for one
- 100 Mile Bike Ride has a few tips to keep you safe as a bike messenger
- A bicycle Christmas tree has appeared in se1
- The number of drivers illegally using their mobile phone has doubled in the past two years
- An adventure called bicycling shows you how to thoroughly clean your bike
Hitting the sales
January of course can only mean two things. The gym will be packed with people that won’t be keeping their new years resolutions for long and it’s sale time! I’ve had a bit of a look around the Wiggle sale and picked out these two bits you may be interested in if your wallet has not been completely emptied already!
The dhb Wickham eVENT Waterproof Cycling Jacket is the more upmarket version of the DHB Amberley I have previously recommended. It comes with 8/10 from What Mountain Bike and 9/10 from RoadCC. It currently has 25% off so you save £30. At £89.99 it offers very good value.
Knog Baksak Large Messenger Bag has 25% off so it is now only £31.49. It is great for carting things around town. With water resistance it is also good for keeping the bag contents dry and keeping the bag easy to clean. Definitely a great bag that is not just for bike messengers.
Join 9,241 fellow cyclists who are subscribed to the London Cyclist newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get...
- Advice on the best cycling gear
- A Friday roundup of all the latest London cycling news
- Exclusive content not available on the blog
Subscribe today, and get exclusive access forever! (It's free)
*No spam, ever!
As seen on The Guardian, BBC and The Independent.