It’s easy to understand why a bike lock is never considered an exciting purchase. You’ve just splashed out on a super amazing new £1,000 carbon dream machine, and now you’re being told you need to spend a further £100 to keep it safe? Not a great thing to hear. However, it’s often quoted that you […]
Archive | January, 2014
The vast majority of motorists in London drive quite sensibly. Unfortunately, since a regular bike commuter interacts with many thousands of cars a year, it only takes a very small percentage of idiots to make unpleasant encounters an occasional, but all-too-inevitable part of cycling in the capital. Here are some of the worst examples caught […]
A good pair of gloves will make all the difference to your ride – cold, numb hands can be not only painful, but can really limit your responsiveness on the handlebars, shifters and brakes. The key things to look for in a winter glove are: Weather proofing Obvious, but there are different types. Windproof, water […]
With a baby on the way, it recently came to my realisation that the spare room is no longer going to be ‘spare’ – and as such can no longer be deemed a room for me to keep my bike and all paraphernalia. While there are a range of fancy indoor bicycle storage options, I […]
Today I interviewed Phil Jones, Camden Borough Council’s cabinet member for transport. Here’s what he told me about cycling in one of central London’s key boroughs: Royal College Street has seen a 40% to 50% increase in cycle traffic since its cycle track was upgraded The flagship cycle route has also seen a reduction in […]
The best way to get around with a bike is usually to ride it. But when you have your bike with you but can’t, or don’t want to cycle, London’s public transport will probably let you down. Here are six ways we can improve the experience of using public transport with a bike in the […]
I got my first road bike aged 21 – I forget if it came with an instruction manual – but if it did I certainly didn’t read it. In fact, I raced it in a triathlon a few weeks after and took it to the Pyrenees not many months into our life together. Three years […]
Christmas may have come and gone but the nights continue to be long and dark and, as cyclists, that means that a good set of lights is essential. While in London we really only need lights ‘to be seen’ rather than to see where we are going, for those of us who like to spend […]
The Isle of Wight is a cyclists dream destination. Miles of dramatic coastline to explore, rolling hills to trundle over and plenty of pubs on route to quench that thirst for beer. But the Isle of Wight is often well off the radar of the London cyclist – it’s all the way on an island, […]
I recently interviewed Westminster Council’s City Commissioner for Transport, Martin Low, as part of a feature for The House magazine. Due to space constraints I didn’t get to use everything he said in our wide-ranging chat; here are some highlights: Westminster rejects the idea of a central London daytime HGV ban He spells out two […]
Guest post by Jude from Cycling with Heels. Let’s face it – most bags designed for use on a bike are not particularly attractive. The demands of practicality and function mean that aesthetics are usually the poor relation. For those of us who want a bike bag that looks like something we’d carry when we’re not […]
There are still people in the world who maintain that it is legal to shoot a Welshman with a crossbow and arrow in Chester after sunset – technically this piece of legislation is in the book of statute and you could do it. However, common sense suggests that if you were to do so, you […]
Get our free guide to cycling in London by joining the London Cyclist newsletter:
As mentioned in:
- Pocket High Street: The anti-Amazon saviour of the high street 21/08/2014
- Mount your iPhone 5 or 5S to your bike handlebars 20/08/2014
- The best cycling shorts for men and women 19/08/2014
- Dear bike thief… how to write a letter that could get your bike back 18/08/2014
- Guide to the Cycle Show 2014 15/08/2014
- 5 of the greatest dangers facing cyclists in London 12/08/2014
- 10 things I wish I’d known when I first started cycling 11/04/2013
- The best bike lock 21/11/2012
- Bicycle insurance 07/09/2011
- How to start cycling 20/01/2011
- Buying a second hand bike in London 25/08/2010
- 7 mistakes you are making with your cycling and how you can correct them 28/04/2010
- 35 London Cycling Routes with GPS 02/03/2010
- SpecializedCrosstrail: I'm amazed, I have to admit. Seldom do I come acr...
- electrische fietsen: Some excellent blogs there! Wish I had time to set...
- chloe sims reviews on clear shampoo and Conditioner: Staying inside a tanning bed for lengthy hours sti...
- Paul: I see Miles has had problems with the Bike Hub app...
- Dave: Cycling as a whole is neither valued or respected ...
- Dave: I will try the App when it comes to Android. All t...
35 London Cycle Routes with GPS
For just £9.95 you can discover 35 amazing cycling routes in London for training, days out with the kids and traffic free riding. The eBook also comes with GPS coordinates.
Click here to find out more now