The 18 scariest videos of motorists attacking and abusing cyclists

The vast majority of motorists in London drive quite sensibly. Unfortunately, since a regular bike commuter interacts with many thousands of cars a year, it only takes a very small percentage of idiots to make unpleasant encounters an occasional, but all-too-inevitable part of cycling in the capital. Here are some of the worst examples caught on camera.

Overweight man chases and punches cyclist

Three thugs park up and beat a man on a bike

Fat man in an Audi punches a cyclist into a taxi

Lorry tries to run a cyclist off a road

Fat man takes a man on a bike prisoner

Car passenger shoots cyclist with a pellet gun

The 4X4 driver that won’t be happy till cyclists stop using the road

Deranged white van man tries to rugby tackle a man off a bike

Fat bloke REALLY doesn’t like being overtaken by a cyclist

Older man blocks and threatens a cyclist

Motorist in silver car tries to run a cyclist off the road

Motorist runs cyclist off road, confronts his friends with a baseball bat, and runs over their bikes

BMW illegally in bus lane threatens cyclist

Funeral escort threatens to knock cyclist out after knocking him off bike

Motorist threatens to smash cyclists’ head for taking the lane

Some comic relief: Help! I’m being repressed!

There are also two videos that wouldn’t embed but were worth watching:

Van driver runs down a person on a bike then punches him into hedge

hedge

and

Motorist drives into stationary man on a bike

behind

If you’re interested in doing some recording yourself, check out our camera recommendations here.

10 Responses to The 18 scariest videos of motorists attacking and abusing cyclists

1. Katie Hall 29/01/2014 at 1:10 pm #

Wow. There are some scary attitudes (and people) out there. Thanks heavens for helmet cams, mobiles etc. At least these confrontations can be recorded.

• Diana 30/01/2014 at 3:23 pm #

Unfortunately helmet cameras make no difference. The police do not prosecute any of this behaviour, rarely do these result in any sort of penality for the drivers. The last video for instance the driver assulted the cyclist and got off scott free. A warning was issued to the driver, nothing more. No actual consequences to this man’s abhorrent behaviour.

2. Vincent 29/01/2014 at 1:19 pm #

What is it about bicycles that make those drivers so angry?

Did the same thing happen in Holland and Denmark when bikes made their way back in cities?

• London 08/09/2014 at 1:41 pm #

Motorists find cyclists aggravating for many reasons. The behaviour in the videos is unacceptable though.

3. Deal 29/01/2014 at 2:19 pm #

It’s great that they’re recorded, but are these thugs caught, prosecuted and found guilty? Unless they are, and the general public is made aware of their guilt, there will be an ongoing battle between road users with more cyclists ending up as punching bags because they’re viewed as easy targets for rage.

4. Gaz 29/01/2014 at 2:37 pm #

As you said, this are very rare. I calculated that I interact* with over 250,000 motor vehicles per year.

*by interact I meant either I pass them or they pass me.

5. GKP 29/01/2014 at 3:35 pm #

Scary stuff – but luckily rare – most near misses in my experience are due to careless driving which is still scary, but it’s not the same as being deliberately targeted as these guys are.

I doubt that the police would act or do much about these videos. There is a cycling QC who captured death threats on his camera and the CPS still declined to act.

for the follow-up

If someone that well versed in the law and the criminal justice system has problems, then there’s not much hope for Joe Public.

On the other hand, could these videos be posted to the drivers insurance companies? Insurers take a much dimmer view of customers who drive dangerously.

all-in-all a rather depressing post. I do try not to look at them because most people, drivers and cyclists, are pleasant, and just want to get along.

6. John Rawlins 29/01/2014 at 6:25 pm #

Taking the lane can provoke some drivers into a red rage. Their violent responses may be offensive, upsetting and even painful – but not fatal. However, not taking the lane when necessary can mean that a driver may attempt a manoeuvre that is dangerous and – at worst – fatal. I prefer meeting an angry white van driver to having to listen to a driver explain why he didn’t see me as we wait for an ambulance.

7. Sam 13/02/2014 at 2:38 pm #

I do find these videos scary to watch, i don’t like to think that as a commuter this could happen at any moment. Although as was pointed out I have to remind myself of the myriad of drivers that pass me safely or often deliberately giving me extra room (my new resolution is to thank more of them).

One thing that did strike me is that in some (definitely not all) there is a lesson to be learnt about not escalating the situation, i know how hard it is when the blood is pumping and the sheer injustice and inconsideration of some drivers. But chasing someone to the next lights to shout at them is never going to help a situation. It doesn’t make the driver’s behavior excusable far from it. But when cycling my number one concern has got to be for safety and i think stirring up a clear nutter driver like that is hardly sensible. The same applies to banging on vehicles in my book, again I know the annoyance felt but it is a red rag.

I totally agree about holding the lane and my lines though, i won’t apologise for that even when someone is honking up behind me because they don’t understand the junction from my perspective.

Finally at the risk of alienating some people, i think riding a reclining bike in the city is not a great idea. I find it hard enough to spot them myself, let alone account for their length etc.

No one deserves any of these things but not all angels of the road either.

8. Wolf Simpson 22/02/2014 at 1:35 am #

Oh I have a few like that, thankfully no violence. I’ve been putting them into a playlist to throw at the Police every time they go on about road safety & yet refuse to act on dangerous drivers when I try reporting it with video evidence.
    Here’s the playlist: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLlgna3Qia-bzFCX-vTZ_UwpD6FtXibz9Y