A new film by the Met Police is designed to show the dangers that can arise from a typical interaction between a cyclist and a driver. It’s a useful film, which shows how easy it is for a cyclist to disappear in a blind spot. It’s certainly well intentioned and I hope that as many […]
Archive | Safe cycling in London RSS feed for this section
Recent headlines have sent a shock through the cycling community. Five cyclists killed in nine days, bringing the death toll this year to 13. Unmentioned, are the hundreds of cyclists to suffer severe injuries. The Save Our Cyclists petition, as well as a flash ride spearheaded by the LCC and planned Stop the killing die-in […]
“I am desperately worried about you cycling in London. You are not a driver and don’t realise the hazards of cycling in such a busy area even with cycle paths. I was knocked off my bike when I was young and cars and lorries appear from nowhere.” – A concerned mother of a cyclist in […]
While cycling the streets of London there is plenty to keep you distracted: honking motorists, distracted pedestrians, traffic lights and slovenly cyclists. On a long bike ride, it could be nice to be able to listen to some music or the radio. Ah, if only there was some safe way to allow the avid cyclist […]
It’s everyone’s worst nightmare. You return one day to find your bike has been stolen. Then, you spot it for sale on eBay. What do you do? Confront the seller directly? Just pay them? Contact eBay? Contact the police? Sometimes miraculous recoveries do happen. This is the story of how one London cyclist, Stuart, got […]
If you sat and thought now about the number of times you’ve been riding happily along, minding your own manners and rules of the road, only to have an angry driver honk, scowl or shout a few colourful words your way? Ever wondered why? Was that guy just having a bad day or did you […]
One of the perils of cycling in London is the likelihood of experiencing some bad driving, and the chances are that you’ve been on the wrong end of a careless taxi driver, a wreckless motorcyclist or a tired TFL bus driver who’s thoughtlessly crept into the bike lane. Of course, having a close call due […]
Let me build some context about my friend DJ Sean.. Sean goes surfing and comes back with a huge cut to his forehead that needs stiches. A few days later he goes surfing again and comes back with a sea urchin stuck in his foot. He goes to the beach and comes back with a […]
I’ve had a few questions from people who’ve been in a cycling accident (official term: incident) and to help clarify when you can and can’t make a claim, I’ve asked Ben Davis from CAMS to help out with explanations of common scenarios. If your question isn’t answered, feel free to use the form below and […]
Question from a reader of London Cyclist Blog: I’m about to move into a flat that has no bike storage. This leaves me and my flatmate with a dilemma: How to store 3 bikes, one of them a high end mountain bike. I ran a Google search to see if there are any enterprising people […]
Have you ever been cycling merrily along and suddenly an ultra bright bike light blinds you? According to a recent spate of emails I’ve been receiving this is becoming a “hot issue” for London’s cyclists. Cyclists tend to love their accessories. From our waterproof jackets, to our bike locks and our bike lights. It seems […]
This week we’re covering cycling accidents on London Cyclist. Our first post shared the results of our survey where we found that nearly 60% of cyclists have at one stage been involved in an accident. Today, I wanted to cover some of the scenarios where you may seek to make a claim for damage to […]
Join 9,241 fellow London Cyclists who receive our free weekly newsletter:
As mentioned in:
- Why you should watch the Cyclocross in Milton Keynes on Saturday 26/11/2014
- How not to use bike lights 26/11/2014
- Keeping your phone charged while you track your rides 20/11/2014
- Spanish and Swedish bike repair instructions added to Bike Doctor app 19/11/2014
- 5 odd things we do with our bikes, that we’d never do with our cars 19/11/2014
- 5 of the best winter cycle gloves 12/11/2014
- 10 things I wish I’d known when I first started cycling 11/04/2013
- The best bike lock 21/11/2012
- Bicycle insurance 07/09/2011
- How to start cycling 20/01/2011
- Buying a second hand bike in London 25/08/2010
- 7 mistakes you are making with your cycling and how you can correct them 28/04/2010
- 35 London Cycling Routes with GPS 02/03/2010
- Chris: Thanks Sheridan. I shall stop concerning myself w...
- Guilermo: you don't need a stop function the dynamo will di...
- Trev: Rear lights mounted on rucksacks my pet hate, ok u...
- Trev: I've seen that quit a few times and it has caught...
- Alan Moore: Yes I see this often. The law actually says they s...
- sheridan: The chance of setting off an epileptic fit is quit...
35 London Cycle Routes with GPS
For just £9.95 you can discover 35 amazing cycling routes in London for training, days out with the kids and traffic free riding. The eBook also comes with GPS coordinates.
Click here to find out more now