The first time I got a puncture whilst out on a ride, I was stood atop of Ditchling Beacon with no puncture repair kit, no pump, no battery on my phone and basically no hope of sorting myself out without the help of a passing cyclist. That was coming up to 4 years ago now, […]
Archive | Cycling accessories RSS feed for this section
Review by Jude from Cycling with Heels. My friend casts an admiring glance at me as she opens the front door. “Ooh, nice coat. Very smart.” It’s not often I get compliments for a cycling jacket – but then the Cassandra coat is no ordinary cycling jacket. Water Off a Duck’s Back was born out of […]
When I arrive at work, I lock my bike up safely with all the other happy looking bikes in a big storage unit. On multiple occasions, I’ve stopped on my way out to switch off a rear light that somebody has accidentally left on. It’s very easy to arrive at work after a wet, cold […]
Is it that time of the year already? The 14th of February comes around quickly and a few of us might have been caught out! But that’s fine, if the woman or man of your dreams is a cyclist. Buying a small thoughtful, or a big extravagant gift for a cyclist is easy, there’s always […]
With a baby on the way, it recently came to my realisation that the spare room is no longer going to be ‘spare’ – and as such can no longer be deemed a room for me to keep my bike and all paraphernalia. While there are a range of fancy indoor bicycle storage options, I […]
Guest post by Jude from Cycling with Heels. Let’s face it – most bags designed for use on a bike are not particularly attractive. The demands of practicality and function mean that aesthetics are usually the poor relation. For those of us who want a bike bag that looks like something we’d carry when we’re not […]
Ahhh, the new year. A time of drinking, a time to reflect, a time to promise yourself to “sort out your life!”. Some of my goals for next year: Hire an extra freelance writer for London Cyclist, go to Antarctica and “be more fit”. The last one in particular, I’ll be tracking with Active Goals. […]
Cold feet and hands can turn a pleasant ride into a miserable one, and we can all recognise the feeling of cold water seeping through your socks and sitting against your skin. My feet feel cold just typing this! Overshoes are one way of limiting the likelihood of the curse of numb toes. Overshoes are […]
Rain and wind are very rarely high on a cyclists list of “favourite conditions to ride in”, but there will always come a day when the heavens open and you find yourself pedalling through it. The best thing you can do is kit up and ride through the storm – so here’s our run down […]
I’ll say it quietly, so as not to upset those who don’t mutter the word until December 24th – but Christmas is getting a day closer every day. For those of us in cycling partnerships, Christmas gifting is quite simple – I’ll swap you a Garmin for a GoPro, then fill your stocking with the […]
Waterproof trousers don’t immediately strike me as the perfect riding attire, but they are a fantastic and practical solution for short journeys by bike when you want to arrive looking presentable. Bad waterproof trousers will make you feel like a person dressed in a very hot plastic bag – they’ll cause you to swelter and […]
Being seen when you’re cycling has always been important, and as we move further and further into winter the importance of a good pair of bike lights cannot be underestimated. With that in mind, we bring you probably the brightest bike light I’ve ever seen – the Knog Blinder. Considering the number of cyclists that […]
Get our free guide to cycling in London by joining the London Cyclist newsletter:
As mentioned in:
- How to cycle around horses 06/03/2014
- 5 cycling accessories I wouldn’t want to be without 05/03/2014
- Popular London cycing clubs and groups 04/03/2014
- Why is Hackney blocking Cycle Superhighway 1 on the A10? 03/03/2014
- Traffic free ride along the Thames from Richmond to Weybridge 28/02/2014
- Maggie’s Monster Bike + Hike 26/02/2014
- 10 things I wish I’d known when I first started cycling 11/04/2013
- The best bike lock 21/11/2012
- Bicycle insurance 07/09/2011
- How to start cycling 20/01/2011
- Buying a second hand bike in London 25/08/2010
- 7 mistakes you are making with your cycling and how you can correct them 28/04/2010
- 35 London Cycling Routes with GPS 02/03/2010
- SteveP: I see a lot of horses on my country rides, and I a...
- SteveP: +1 for gloves (and clipless pedals). I use the CO2...
- Paul King: Regarding train capacity on the Cheshunt - Liverpo...
- Tarek: did you get it all back in 1 piece? well done btw...
- Matt: I clean my bike religiously. As for 'skunk strip...
- Jules: Living and riding in the Surrey Hills I encounter ...
Guide to waterproof cycling jackets
We've reviewed some of the best waterproof cycling jackets