Let’s say I: Own a £1000 bike Plus £150 worth of bike accessories – my lock, lights, mudguard etc. I tend to leave my bike in my house and at work in a secure garage. Once a week I leave my bike overnight in London, when I go out for after work drinks (Around 14 hours) I have a […]
Author Archive | Andreas
Registration for a place in the 2015 London Revolution has just opened. If you’ve been following London Cyclist for a while, you’ll know this is one of our favourite rides. I rode it in 2012, Sam, one of our contributors, rode it in 2013 and I’m sure I’ll be taking part again in the near future. […]
I hate shopping for trousers. It’s one of those items that you’ll wear all the time and will last for years, which makes it feel like it’s a big decision. As I hate shopping for them, I end up wearing my old trousers so much that eventually they get a hole in them. That’s what happened with […]
“The Swiss Army Knife of bike shops” is how I summarised MiCycle in 2010 after being thoroughly impressed by all the services offered. Since then, they’ve expanded from one store in Islington, to another in Stroud Green and now a new store is opening in Hackney. MiCycle is a summary of how I like my […]
Transport for London have announced detailed consultation plans for two new Cycle Superhighways. They are the first two routes that really deserve the superhighway label. The East-West route will take you from Barking to Acton. An 18 mile route that will see some of the most dangerous junctions in London completely re-imagined. It will continue from Cycle Superhighway […]
All the cyclists are patiently waiting at a traffic light. Should they jump it instead? Risking a fine For a start, if they were caught, they would be issued with a £50 Fixed Penalty Notice. In 2013, over 4,000 cyclists were issued a Fixed Penalty Notice after jumping a red light or ignoring a road sign. […]
“Let’s do a weekend away!” your friend enthusiastically suggests. Five minutes later you are throwing out ideas: Let’s go coasteering! Let’s go mountain biking! Let’s go kayaking! Let’s go rock climbing! Two weeks go by with no planning, and suddenly you’re leaving in two days time. You frantically book hotels, Google mountain biking in Devon […]
I sat down on a sunny day in Lord’s Tavern with Alex Schlagman, co-founder of Pocket High Street and owner of this very orange bicycle. His London based startup has created an app that allows cyclists to type in an item they’re looking for and then get prices in London’s bike shops. They can then buy the item […]
I don’t know if you know this, but on London Cyclist we’ve got a bit of thing for chatting about smartphones and bikes: iPhone apps for cyclists Using GPS on your Android or iPhone Tigra iPhone 5 bike mount Cycling apps for Android Up until very recently, we even sold iPhone bike mounts in our eShop. […]
From the 25th to the 28th of September, the world’s UK’s bicycle press along with keen cyclists descend upon the NEC in Birmingham for the year’s Cycle Show. What is it? Should you go? Where do you stay? What are the highlights? What should I take? What day should I go? All good questions! Let’s answer them… […]
Whilst we all go to sleep at night dreaming of better cycling infrastructure in London, until that day comes, it’s worth recognising the dangers and how we can avoid them. I was luckily enough to receive a GoPro action camera from Argos to go around London, find danger and film it. The result is the video below, which if you enjoy, […]
Running London Cyclist I regularly hear stories of cyclists who’ve been hit by drivers who’ve been turning left, or who’ve come out of a junction without looking or any one of one of tens of other scenarios. I decided to interview one such cyclist to hear about what he did next. 1. Can you please describe the […]
Get our free guide to cycling in London by joining the London Cyclist newsletter:
As mentioned in:
- 8 tips for riding home in the dark 29/10/2014
- How to put a bike away for hibernation (if you must!) 26/10/2014
- Comprehensive look at bicycle insurance options 25/10/2014
- Mitie London Revolution places are now open 22/10/2014
- 8 Tips to keep you riding all year 22/10/2014
- On and off the bike: 5 stylish clip shoes for men 20/10/2014
- 10 things I wish I’d known when I first started cycling 11/04/2013
- The best bike lock 21/11/2012
- Bicycle insurance 07/09/2011
- How to start cycling 20/01/2011
- Buying a second hand bike in London 25/08/2010
- 7 mistakes you are making with your cycling and how you can correct them 28/04/2010
- 35 London Cycling Routes with GPS 02/03/2010
- Roger: *i mean 'DON'T ELIMINATE THE DOPEY DRIVER FACTOR...
- Roger: Hi viz and good lights are essential but they elim...
- j santley: hi this is worth claiming for please contact me i ...
- Kristin: I live in Florida, so I bike 365 days a year. My t...
- Richard: Ninja Cyclist - rides at night in black clothing w...
- Nyge: Hi Viz or 800 Lumens - it's got to be better than...
Bike apps for the iPhone
Repair your bike, track your cycling and find the nearest London bike shop - all from your iPhone:iPhone apps for cyclists