On a rainy bike ride home, it’s hard for the mind not to wonder towards dreamier climates. My mind always wonders back to my cycling holiday along the Rhine in Germany and inevitably to the many pints consumed along the way. Cycling Holidays are great fun and a great way to socialise, and we really are spoilt […]
We cyclists do, of course, love our bikes – and there is absolutely no way we want to store them outside unless there is literally no other option. Unless you’ve craftily positioned yourself in a home with other cyclists, housemates, family and spouses can sometimes find this desire to keep the bike inside confusing and […]
This is a guest post by George of Bring Your Own Bike. Have you ever made your own sandwich? You’ll know the stages: agonising over the individual components, carefully assembling the parts, finally standing back to admire the finished article and then taking that first sweet bite through the crust and into the filling. You […]
I’ll admit, I’m a bit greedy in the bike department (but not as greedy as some people I know!) – I’ve got more than 3, and less than 5. However, I recently found myself wondering: if I could have just one bike, what would it be? Here’s a look at the distinguishing features of the most […]
What, you still do your own laundry? You fire up the washing machine, throw in the colours separately, add the powder and then put it in the drier when it’s done? Then you manually fold it? That’s so old school! After all, this is the 21st century that we live in and there’s an app […]
Any repetitive movement can put stress on your body, and cycling is certainly that – if you pedal at 90 rpm, that’s 5,400 revolutions an hour, so it’s understandable that from time to time you might feel the odd ache. DOMS – delayed onset muscle soreness – are a normal sign that your body is […]
Guest post by Joe Plommer, a photographer and writer based in Camberwell. You’ll find Joe on Twitter. Illustration via Mayumi Mori. I must first have visited Bob’s Cycles, on Walworth’s John Ruskin street, in around 2006. I was a student, and had recently left my long-standing part-time job at one of London’s major bike shop chains. This […]
One of the most popular London Cyclist posts last year was ‘8 moments all cycle commuters will understand’ – you guys liked it so much, we thought we’d follow it up with 8 ways you can identify other commuters in your work place… Of course, if you’ve got a communal bike rack, and arrive in at […]
Every hardy commuter needs a good backpack – that trusted pack that’s got your back on every commute can become a familiar friend on your daily rides – but it has to be reliable, long lasting and comfortable to receive ‘commuting essential’ status. Here’s a look at 3 of the best we’ve found over the […]
Guest post by Tom Allen. Alongside cycling in general, bicycle travel is undergoing a real growth spurt. More and more people are discovering the joys of using their bikes to see the world beyond their local rides. This is gratifying, because I know from experience that bicycle travel has the power to change lives. We’ve […]
This is a guest post by Alex Bodini, Co-Founder of Fixation London. We, like many others, have quietly observed the increase in cyclists on the roads of the UK with a big smile on our face over the past 5 years – we are bike people, always have been, always will be, so whether its road bikes, BMXs, mountain […]
What you wear to ride in the summer matters – you don’t want to be sweaty, and you want good shorts – but over winter, kit can make or break your ride. I’ve got plenty of jackets that I think are ‘ok’, and tights that ‘do the job’, but when it comes to a long, […]
Join 9,241 fellow London Cyclists who receive our free weekly newsletter:
As mentioned in:
- Top 10 European Cycling Destinations 24/02/2015
- 5 of the best bike storage options 24/02/2015
- Build your dream bike step-by-step with the BYOB workshop 23/02/2015
- What’s the most versatile style of bike? 20/02/2015
- Laundrapp review – laundry for busy people 17/02/2015
- 3 stretches and massage techniques that are great for cyclists 16/02/2015
- 10 things I wish I’d known when I first started cycling 11/04/2013
- The best bike lock 21/11/2012
- Bicycle insurance 07/09/2011
- How to start cycling 20/01/2011
- Buying a second hand bike in London 25/08/2010
- 7 mistakes you are making with your cycling and how you can correct them 28/04/2010
- 35 London Cycling Routes with GPS 02/03/2010
- Patrick: Can we count Iceland in this list? Absolute dream,...
- Lavern: Hi would you mind letting me know which hosting co...
- michael.: I used 2 rubbish locks for 3 months and had it sto...
- Mark: Hi Darren, I don't think there is anything wrong ...
- Samuel: no france? weird......
- Stephen: I bought a Volt Pulse last July, and began commuti...
Guide to waterproof cycling jackets
We've reviewed some of the best waterproof cycling jackets