I hate shopping for trousers. It’s one of those items that you’ll wear all the time and will last for years, which makes it feel like it’s a big decision. As I hate shopping for them, I end up wearing my old trousers so much that eventually they get a hole in them. That’s what happened with […]
Backpacks for cycling come in all shapes and sizes. When I first joined the commuter community, I had a “Jansport” backpack – purchased because that is the style of pack I had at school, I found a cheap one in TKMaxx (oh, student days…) and it seemed sensible. Fine for early commutes, I soon realized […]
Mountain bikes and hybrids have been equipped with disc brakes for a long time – but it’s only over the last couple of years that they’ve made their way on to road bikes. A rare role reversal Disc brakes present a strange and rare opportunity to bike manufacturers – because they give everyday cyclists access […]
“The Swiss Army Knife of bike shops” is how I summarised MiCycle in 2010 after being thoroughly impressed by all the services offered. Since then, they’ve expanded from one store in Islington, to another in Stroud Green and now a new store is opening in Hackney. MiCycle is a summary of how I like my […]
We’ve already covered the best road bikes for men, for women and folding bikes. However, we’ve yet to cover Dutch style bikes. You’ll have already seen plenty of Dutch style bikes or city bikes around London, in the form of Boris Bikes. You’ll generally find a few features in the bikes that make them ideal […]
Cycling caps, otherwise known as cycling berretta(s?), are a quintessential part of road cycling. Often worn alone for racing until the UCI made helmets compulsory in 2003, they’ve been heavily documented perching atop the heads of pro cyclists of the 70s and 80s, the wearers exuding ‘cool’ and quirky racer vibes. A cycling cap is […]
Last week, we provided a list of bang for your buck upgrades that can transform your bike for as little as £5, but if you feel you’d rather get a new bike, than upgrade your old one, you’ve come to the right place with our guide to selling your bike. Bikes generally retain their value […]
We’ve reviewed various action sports cameras in the past – and they’ve all got their merits – but the GoPro is by far the most popular of the lot. The market leader promises quality footage, that is easy to download and share, all in an attractive package that isn’t too heavy or bulky – and […]
If your bike has started to feel a little tired or outdated, you may be able to revitalise your trusty steed with just a little investment. My own first road bike has been taken apart and re-created repeatedly, and my husband’s old Kona MTB (14 years old, steel frame) is still going strong, albeit sold […]
Transport for London have announced detailed consultation plans for two new Cycle Superhighways. They are the first two routes that really deserve the superhighway label. The East-West route will take you from Barking to Acton. An 18 mile route that will see some of the most dangerous junctions in London completely re-imagined. It will continue from Cycle Superhighway […]
All the cyclists are patiently waiting at a traffic light. Should they jump it instead? Risking a fine For a start, if they were caught, they would be issued with a £50 Fixed Penalty Notice. In 2013, over 4,000 cyclists were issued a Fixed Penalty Notice after jumping a red light or ignoring a road sign. […]
The signs of autumn might be gradually infiltrating our lovely summer of cycling, but that’s no reason to cut down on your riding. Even if you mainly ride to get yourself to and from work, your motivation to do so, and to put some extra effort into your commutes can be supercharged if you’ve got […]
Join 9,241 fellow London Cyclists who receive our free weekly newsletter:
As mentioned in:
- Vulpine Men’s Cotton Rain Trousers Review 30/09/2014
- 4 of the best backpacks for commuters 30/09/2014
- Road bikes: to Disc brake or not to disc brake? 30/09/2014
- New MiCycle opens in East London offering cyclists a bike wash 24/09/2014
- Going Dutch for a bike ride around London 24/09/2014
- Cycling caps – why would you wear one, how to wear one, and where to get one 24/09/2014
- 10 things I wish I’d known when I first started cycling 11/04/2013
- The best bike lock 21/11/2012
- Bicycle insurance 07/09/2011
- How to start cycling 20/01/2011
- Buying a second hand bike in London 25/08/2010
- 7 mistakes you are making with your cycling and how you can correct them 28/04/2010
- 35 London Cycling Routes with GPS 02/03/2010
- Donna @OrdCyclingGirl: Sounds like really good value for money and a grea...
- Phil: On the subject of carrying the lock, if you have a...
- official Slotomania hack: Nice blog here! Also your site rather a lot up fas...
- Tom: Another vote for Avid BB7's here, so good and so ...
- Dave: Use Topeak's MTX quick track bag and beam rack sy...
- slotomania games best odds: Hi, the whole thing is going nicely here and ofcou...
Bike apps for the iPhone
Repair your bike, track your cycling and find the nearest London bike shop - all from your iPhone:iPhone apps for cyclists