Most of us have cycle around daily with powerful GPS devices in our pockets: our iPhone and Android devices. A few of us even have a Garmin GPS. However, few people have used the GPS functionality beyond basic route planning apps such as Bike Hub and Google Maps. That’s a shame as it can be […]
Archive | Cycling tips RSS feed for this section
Training on a bicycle indoors is not everybody’s idea of a good use of time – and I know that some readers out there use their wheels to commute, and so pounding away on a static trainer isn’t going to do the job for them. However, if you’re using your bike for sport, or thinking […]
We’ve all been there: it’s 6am, the alarm goes off – and it’s blowing a gale out there, the rain is hammering down – you just don’t feel like riding your bike. You come up with a few excuses, and convince yourself to find other means of transport. Well – don’t – because here are […]
There are tons of things you can do on two wheels. You can ride long, winding roads, ticking off the hills across the country; you could load up a touring steed like a snail shell and travel from place to place with all your belongings. You could speed down trails, or even pull some stunts […]
Guest post by Jude from Cycling with Heels. The shower at my workplace has recently been deep cleaned. I’m not suggesting that this has never happened before, but it was enough of a novelty that Facilities put up signs weeks before the event, alerting us to its imminent occurrence and asking us to remove any belongings. […]
It can be tempting to poke your nose outside as rain falls from the sky in buckets, shake your head, and take the train instead – but it doesn’t have to be that way. Wet weather riding can be strangely liberating if done right – and if you can’t enjoy it, there are things you can do […]
Cycling starts off as a lovely simple hobby – you pop on your trainers, strap a helmet to your head, jump on the bike and off you go. Then – a couple of years pass and suddenly you have multiple pedals, a collection of steeds, several helmets for different purposes, and more saddles and stems […]
The LFGSS rides forum is one of the best places to hear about social rides taking place in London. Here’s a recently selection.. October 19th: London Borough Spiral Ride This 180km ride has been organised by the forums members. Its a spiral loop that will take in all 32 of London’s boroughs. It starts in Sidcup […]
In this guest post, cycling blogger Andrew Montgomery writes about how to turn your bike commuting routine into a training programme for longer distance cycling events. After completing the inaugural 100-mile RideLondon sportive, Andrew has written a free ebook guide to help other beginner cyclists complete their first long distance cycle ride. Take it away Andrew… Lack of time is a common frustration […]
If you only listened to health news lately you’d think the entire western world is overweight and ill-prepared to do anything about it. But despite what the reports say about the number of obese people and those who lead mostly sedentary lives, plenty of people are out there being active. In fact there has been […]
I have to be honest and say the idea of having a professional bike fitting is not something that’s appealed to me at all in the past. At over £100, the idea of someone adjusting the bike for me seemed odd –after all, it’s something I could do myself for free. But having experienced a […]
Summer is on its way and London’s roads are filling up with cyclists, many inspired by last year’s Olympics and encouraged by the proliferation of Boris Bikes on the streets of the capital. Bicycle ownership in London increases year on year, with 2012’s annual travel report for London estimating that a staggering 700,000 people cycle […]
Join 9,241 fellow London Cyclists who receive our free weekly newsletter:
As mentioned in:
- How to cycle around horses 06/03/2014
- 5 cycling accessories I wouldn’t want to be without 05/03/2014
- Popular London cycing clubs and groups 04/03/2014
- Why is Hackney blocking Cycle Superhighway 1 on the A10? 03/03/2014
- Traffic free ride along the Thames from Richmond to Weybridge 28/02/2014
- Maggie’s Monster Bike + Hike 26/02/2014
- 10 things I wish I’d known when I first started cycling 11/04/2013
- The best bike lock 21/11/2012
- Bicycle insurance 07/09/2011
- How to start cycling 20/01/2011
- Buying a second hand bike in London 25/08/2010
- 7 mistakes you are making with your cycling and how you can correct them 28/04/2010
- 35 London Cycling Routes with GPS 02/03/2010
- smorkey: I don't have mudguards as I don't ride when it r...
- Clive: Yes I did get it back!! :) the cycle task force la...
- Mark: Thanks for the tip Nick, I will certainly try that...
- SteveP: I see a lot of horses on my country rides, and I a...
- SteveP: +1 for gloves (and clipless pedals). I use the CO2...
- Paul King: Regarding train capacity on the Cheshunt - Liverpo...
Guide to waterproof cycling jackets
We've reviewed some of the best waterproof cycling jackets