Question: Is it legal or technically illegal to “scoot” your bike on a pavement? Scooting is what you can see the adorable granny doing in the video above (thanks @yvessalmon for sharing!) Totally fine! I do it all the time Illegal! I know I may be fined for this This was the question posed […]
Tag Archives | law
I was once witness to a car dooring. My friend was pedalling past stationary traffic less than a metre ahead of me, when suddenly a passenger opened their door, knocking my friend off his bike. Miraculously he didn’t have a single scratch. His back wheel was completely buckled. It turns out that the passenger had […]
This Friday I wanted to do an open Q&A with Access Legal lawyer Dave Escandell as a couple of questions have been arising regarding using helmet camera footage for prosecution and for uploading content to YouTube. If you have any questions therefore please leave them in the comments. Here are answers to two of the […]
We received a very positive response when we posted up the steps to keep in mind if you are ever involved in an accident. Whilst it’s often something we never think about, knowing what to do can make a big difference in dealing with the aftermath of an unfortunate event. As a number of people […]
It’s a horrible thought, but it is far better to be aware of the steps needed if you are in an accident or indeed if you witness an accident with a cyclist and need to help. When we tweeted about this it got a lot more clicks than expected so understandably this is something people […]
Having yesterday revealed the amount of time cyclists spend at red lights there is one suggestion that the Mayor of London supports that could make a big difference. Simply allowing cyclists to make a left turn at a red light. Currently, doing this incurs a £30 fine if you are caught. Yet, some cyclists will […]
The law and cycling have always had a tough relationship. On one hand cyclists are road users and therefore should follow the rules of the road like everyone else. On the other if a cyclist doesn’t follow the rules the consequences are likely to be less severe simply considering the size of a bike versus […]
Jumping red lights, talking on mobiles, cycling on pavements and driving into advanced stop boxes. All behaviours we are either guilty of or victim to. The message being spread by TfL is for all of us to be more courteous to each other on the roads and that nobody is above the law. One of […]
Yesterday, I received an email from Jared who wanted help from fellow London Cyclists and passers by to back him up against the taxi driver who swerved across in front of him and caused a collision. The taxi driver then proceeded to strangle Jared until he fell unconscious. This happened on March the 9th at […]
What reward do you get for cycling in London? Well, under new proposals by Westminster Council you could be fined £100 (up from £30) for doing the things cyclists sometimes do. These include: Jumping red lights Riding on the pavement Ignoring one way signs It doesn’t matter if the traffic light has absolutely no […]
You can shoot a Welsh person with a bow and arrow in Chester, a pregnant woman may relieve herself anywhere she likes, including in a policeman’s helmet and cyclists cannot cycle down one-way streets. All very silly laws and all actually still exist. But of all those, the third may be about to change. (more…)
Get our free guide to cycling in London by joining the London Cyclist newsletter:
As mentioned in:
- Best cycle commuter visibility tips 10/02/2016
- Helmet cameras for cyclists – our pick of the best 07/02/2016
- Costs of refurbishing a second hand bike 05/02/2016
- Happarel Bicycles reflective bike kits 04/02/2016
- Bike lights definitive guide 02/02/2016
- Coboc electric bike review 02/02/2016
- 10 things I wish I’d known when I first started cycling 11/04/2013
- The best bike lock 21/11/2012
- Bicycle insurance 07/09/2011
- How to start cycling 20/01/2011
- Buying a second hand bike in London 25/08/2010
- 7 mistakes you are making with your cycling and how you can correct them 28/04/2010
- 35 London Cycling Routes with GPS 02/03/2010
- Hugh Ard: Since fitting two 5 LED Flashers on a 40cm wide pl...
- Alehouse Rock: Er....testsend....
- David Hodgson: Definitely worth the effort and 250-300 quid will ...
- MJ Ray: Isn't attaching lumps to the outside of your helm...
- Gav: I would say be very wary of buying any carbon fram...
- Andrew Beale: I did a similar project a few years ago with an ol...
35 London Cycle Routes with GPS
For just £9.95 you can discover 35 amazing cycling routes in London for training, days out with the kids and traffic free riding. The eBook also comes with GPS coordinates.
Click here to find out more now