1. Expansion of the Boris Bike Scheme The hugely successful-even-if-plagued-by-more-problems-than-Windows-ME Barclays Cycle Hire Scheme is set for expansion east, in time for the 2012 Olympics. The lucky Londoners in Bethnal Green, Bow, Canary Wharf, Mile End and Poplar will be next to see docking stations popping up. The expanded Boris Bike scheme will eventually cover […]
This is typically the time of the year when we set new goals for ourselves. During January I’ll be posting more about how to keep the resolution to start cycling. Hopefully you guys will be kind enough to forward the articles to your non-cycling buddies! Here are 5 good new years resolutions if you are […]
Bike Lock Guide When people approach you all teary eyed that their bike was stolen you’ll be able to cold heartedly say to them: Didn’t you read that blog post on London Cyclist with all those good bike locks? Cold but it’s for their own good! Top 50 cycling blogs 2010 The monster list of […]
Boris Johnson: “If there were more cyclists we would have made the cycle superhighways separate lanes” Gerald Tremblay, Mayor of Montreal: “We’ll build the dedicated cycle lanes and then they’ll come” One of these two mayors has the right idea. There’s no prizes for guessing which one. It’s a well-understood fact that fear of cycling […]
Want to know one of the most searched for items this time of the year? Winter cycling gloves. If you manage to wake up from your huge Turkey Christmas dinner induced coma and look out the window you’ll understand why. On my hunt for winter cycling glove nirvana, that magical moment when your hands are […]
Hope everyone is having a very Merry Christmas and getting lots of cycling related gifts!
Guest post by Godwyns Onwuchekwa Due to the treacherous nature of snow, it can be difficult for the non-fair-weather cyclist to keep up. But there is always a way. For me, the more dangerous it is to cycle, the merrier I am. Living in London for nearly 7 years now and cycling for 6 of […]
We received a very positive response when we posted up the steps to keep in mind if you are ever involved in an accident. Whilst it’s often something we never think about, knowing what to do can make a big difference in dealing with the aftermath of an unfortunate event. As a number of people […]
This e-mail hit my inbox last week: “I’d love to do some writing and reviewing for the blog. I read a lot of other cycling blogs and there seems to be a gap for women like me who love cycling in all it’s forms and aren’t pure roadies or retro Dutch bike lovers. There has […]
As it turns out in my research there’s some pretty cool bicycle rental places in London. For a long time when a friend was visiting London I would simply direct them to one place I knew that had clunky, step over frame bicycles. However, it is actually possible to rent a fixie, a tandem or […]
Just shared this on my Twitter but thought it would probably be of interest here on the blog too.. Cycle Gaz who runs The Views of a Cyclist from Croydon was yesterday hit by a car as he cycled on the bus lane. Here is the YouTube of the accident: Fortunately he has escaped without […]
Dutch design bicycles are famed for their low maintenance and high quality. While “Dutch style” bikes are nothing new, certain well known brands have always been missing from the line-up. A new site called And Dutch has just changed that. I caught up with the founder, Gert-Jan Baan (How Dutch does that name sound?), to […]
Get our free guide to cycling in London by joining the London Cyclist newsletter:
As mentioned in:
- Why you should watch the Cyclocross in Milton Keynes on Saturday 26/11/2014
- How not to use bike lights 26/11/2014
- Keeping your phone charged while you track your rides 20/11/2014
- Spanish and Swedish bike repair instructions added to Bike Doctor app 19/11/2014
- 5 odd things we do with our bikes, that we’d never do with our cars 19/11/2014
- 5 of the best winter cycle gloves 12/11/2014
- 10 things I wish I’d known when I first started cycling 11/04/2013
- The best bike lock 21/11/2012
- Bicycle insurance 07/09/2011
- How to start cycling 20/01/2011
- Buying a second hand bike in London 25/08/2010
- 7 mistakes you are making with your cycling and how you can correct them 28/04/2010
- 35 London Cycling Routes with GPS 02/03/2010
- Nick: Agreed. Even more useful if it has a sensor to tur...
- Igor: A dynamo and lights with "stop function". When y...
- commuterjohn: Or have a dynamo and bolt your lights on. Always ...
- Tom: And remember that the red one goes on the back, I ...
- CJ Bill: Indeed remerson, I do find people who have their l...
- Mark: It's not strictly true that no clipless pedals in...
Guide to waterproof cycling jackets
We've reviewed some of the best waterproof cycling jackets