No one likes to hear it, but summer is slowly ambling its way towards closure. The slowly ambling bit is important – there is still plenty of time to get out and enjoy some sunny rides, and these late season rides are absolutely golden – they’ll be the ones sitting in your memory until March […]
I recently came across a colleague on the way to work, who usually rides a pretty nice BMC road bike. However, the road bike had been replaced with a green and yellow Brompton. Lycra was swapped for jeans and the handle-bar chewing replaced with a relaxed lean-back style of riding that was entirely out of character. […]
I sat down on a sunny day in Lord’s Tavern with Alex Schlagman, co-founder of Pocket High Street and owner of this very orange bicycle. His London based startup has created an app that allows cyclists to type in an item they’re looking for and then get prices in London’s bike shops. They can then buy the item […]
I don’t know if you know this, but on London Cyclist we’ve got a bit of thing for chatting about smartphones and bikes: iPhone apps for cyclists Using GPS on your Android or iPhone Tigra iPhone 5 bike mount Cycling apps for Android Up until very recently, we even sold iPhone bike mounts in our eShop. […]
If you’re going to be spending a fair amount of time in the saddle, a good pair of cycling shorts will definitely make a big difference to your comfort. While lycra on the bike is not a ‘must have’, it’s a popular choice because the tight, figure hugging material won’t bunch and cause chafing, and it […]
Bike theft isn’t nice, we all know that. Many cyclists have experienced that sinking feeling, upon returning to the spot where the bike once stood to find nothing but… well, nothing. Perhaps a broken lock if the thief felt like rubbing it in. To prevent this happening to you, we wrote ‘three steps to theft […]
From the 25th to the 28th of September, the world’s UK’s bicycle press along with keen cyclists descend upon the NEC in Birmingham for the year’s Cycle Show. What is it? Should you go? Where do you stay? What are the highlights? What should I take? What day should I go? All good questions! Let’s answer them… […]
Whilst we all go to sleep at night dreaming of better cycling infrastructure in London, until that day comes, it’s worth recognising the dangers and how we can avoid them. I was luckily enough to receive a GoPro action camera from Argos to go around London, find danger and film it. The result is the video below, which if you enjoy, […]
Cycle safety campaigns are always embarked upon with our best interests at heart. Some of them are aimed at cyclists, others at drivers. Some are incredibly helpful, insightful and hopefully educational. Some of them less so. Here’s a look at the best and worst cycle safety and driver awareness messages we’ve seen… Cyclist Stay Back […]
If you’ve got friends curious about cycling who aren’t ready to splash out on a bike then the Barclays Bicycle Hire Birthday weekend might be a perfect date for their diary. The Barclays Hire Scheme turned 4 on 30th July and Transport for London, SkyRide and Breeze have come together to provide a bumper weekend […]
Not every road cycling woman needs a female specific bike, but a great many would benefit from one. In general, a woman’s leg to torso ratio is different to a man’s – usually women will have longer legs and a shorter torso. They also have narrower shoulders, smaller hands, and wider hip bones. A female […]
Running London Cyclist I regularly hear stories of cyclists who’ve been hit by drivers who’ve been turning left, or who’ve come out of a junction without looking or any one of one of tens of other scenarios. I decided to interview one such cyclist to hear about what he did next. 1. Can you please describe the […]
Get our free guide to cycling in London by joining the London Cyclist newsletter:
As mentioned in:
- Top 10 European Cycling Destinations 24/02/2015
- 5 of the best bike storage options 24/02/2015
- Build your dream bike step-by-step with the BYOB workshop 23/02/2015
- What’s the most versatile style of bike? 20/02/2015
- Laundrapp review – laundry for busy people 17/02/2015
- 3 stretches and massage techniques that are great for cyclists 16/02/2015
- 10 things I wish I’d known when I first started cycling 11/04/2013
- The best bike lock 21/11/2012
- Bicycle insurance 07/09/2011
- How to start cycling 20/01/2011
- Buying a second hand bike in London 25/08/2010
- 7 mistakes you are making with your cycling and how you can correct them 28/04/2010
- 35 London Cycling Routes with GPS 02/03/2010
- Vince: Fab article thanks!...
- Alehouse Rock: Yes....and I dunno why they were omitted from Mich...
- Hedgemonkey: Just had this exact dilemma and ended up with a Wh...
- Amoeba: "I just wish some of the cyclists wouldn’t use ...
- Jon: While I agree some of the roads in Amsterdam can b...
- John: Agreed after all for most urban settings I think t...
Bike apps for the iPhone
Repair your bike, track your cycling and find the nearest London bike shop - all from your iPhone:iPhone apps for cyclists