The recent Cycling Scotland advert, told drivers to treat a cyclist like a horse. That’s all well and good, and makes for a rather funny video, but how should cyclists treat horses and horse riders? Jessica Drake, a member of Horses and Road Safety Awareness, wanted to share with me a few of her tips as […]
The first time I got a puncture whilst out on a ride, I was stood atop of Ditchling Beacon with no puncture repair kit, no pump, no battery on my phone and basically no hope of sorting myself out without the help of a passing cyclist. That was coming up to 4 years ago now, […]
Riding to get from A to B is usually not a group activity. However, if you want to get out and ride for leisure, and fancy making your cycling more sociable, joining a club or riding with a group is a great way to meet like minded people to share the road with. Here’s a […]
In practice Hackney prioritises bus transport over cycling. Is that such a bad thing? When I interviewed Hackney’s cycling boss Feryal Dermici last week, she told me the borough was blocking TfL’s preferred route for Cycle Superhighway 1, which goes right down the A10, from Tottenham, through Stoke Newington, and down Kingsland Road. She gave […]
This is a guest post by Julian Bell, a teacher and writer living in South West London. He blogs at www.lifelonglondoner.blogspot.com. Note: Unless you’ve got one of those bikes that can doubles up as a submarine, I’d probably save this ride and keep it for when the weather improves. We all occasionally get the urge […]
If you’re looking for a way to challenge yourself physically while also taking up a good cause, you have to check out Maggie’s Monster Bike + Hike. There are tons of ways to give to charity; some of us donate money or goods while the rest of us get off our keisters and ride for […]
Review by Jude from Cycling with Heels. My friend casts an admiring glance at me as she opens the front door. “Ooh, nice coat. Very smart.” It’s not often I get compliments for a cycling jacket – but then the Cassandra coat is no ordinary cycling jacket. Water Off a Duck’s Back was born out of […]
Hackney’s cycling boss interviewed: 15 new things we learned about the future of cycling in the borough
Continuing our series of interviews with the people in charge of cycling in London’s boroughs, I spoke to Feryal Demirci, Hackney’s Cabinet member for Neighbourhoods – a brief that includes cycling and other transport. I’ve picked out fifteen new things she told me about the future of cycling in Hackney. If you missed my interviews […]
When I arrive at work, I lock my bike up safely with all the other happy looking bikes in a big storage unit. On multiple occasions, I’ve stopped on my way out to switch off a rear light that somebody has accidentally left on. It’s very easy to arrive at work after a wet, cold […]
I dug a hole, put down the sleeping bag and settled in for one of the most memorable nights of my life. There was a stillness than hung in the air. It was only interrupted by the occasional cracking in the distance. The sound was made by the ice, as it was breaking away from […]
If you sat on Southwark Bridge during rush hour, with a cup of tea and clipboard and counted the number of Specialized Allez bikes rolling by, you’d be amazed. They are probably one of the most popular bikes in London. That’s because they have been a firm favourite at Evans Cycles for over 20 years. When a […]
Whether you like it or not, the River Thames is there, cutting through the centre of the Capital. But what happens when you have to cross it? On the Tube, you might not even notice; but on a bike, it can be a real pain. Here’s London Cyclist’s ranking of central London’s bridges, from worst to […]
Join 9,241 fellow London Cyclists who receive our free weekly newsletter:
As mentioned in:
- 9 signs the summer is coming to an end 28/08/2014
- Folding bikes unpacked 26/08/2014
- Pocket High Street: The anti-Amazon saviour of the high street 21/08/2014
- Mount your iPhone 5 or 5S to your bike handlebars 20/08/2014
- The best cycling shorts for men and women 19/08/2014
- Dear bike thief… how to write a letter that could get your bike back 18/08/2014
- 10 things I wish I’d known when I first started cycling 11/04/2013
- The best bike lock 21/11/2012
- Bicycle insurance 07/09/2011
- How to start cycling 20/01/2011
- Buying a second hand bike in London 25/08/2010
- 7 mistakes you are making with your cycling and how you can correct them 28/04/2010
- 35 London Cycling Routes with GPS 02/03/2010
- Dave: My eight year old Brompton is my primary bike for ...
- Hugh: I have had a Dahon Mu Uno singlespeed for four yea...
- David: I have had a Dahon Matrix for the last few years, ...
- Richard Fairhurst: +1 for the Airnimal. Mrs F has a Chameleon and it...
- MJ Ray: The picture under High Viz illustrates all that's...
- Vincent: > The drawbacks are present – of course. Smal...
35 London Cycle Routes with GPS
For just £9.95 you can discover 35 amazing cycling routes in London for training, days out with the kids and traffic free riding. The eBook also comes with GPS coordinates.
Click here to find out more now