What, you still do your own laundry? You fire up the washing machine, throw in the colours separately, add the powder and then put it in the drier when it’s done? Then you manually fold it? That’s so old school! After all, this is the 21st century that we live in and there’s an app […]
Any repetitive movement can put stress on your body, and cycling is certainly that – if you pedal at 90 rpm, that’s 5,400 revolutions an hour, so it’s understandable that from time to time you might feel the odd ache. DOMS – delayed onset muscle soreness – are a normal sign that your body is […]
Guest post by Joe Plommer, a photographer and writer based in Camberwell. You’ll find Joe on Twitter. Illustration via Mayumi Mori. I must first have visited Bob’s Cycles, on Walworth’s John Ruskin street, in around 2006. I was a student, and had recently left my long-standing part-time job at one of London’s major bike shop chains. This […]
One of the most popular London Cyclist posts last year was ‘8 moments all cycle commuters will understand’ – you guys liked it so much, we thought we’d follow it up with 8 ways you can identify other commuters in your work place… Of course, if you’ve got a communal bike rack, and arrive in at […]
Every hardy commuter needs a good backpack – that trusted pack that’s got your back on every commute can become a familiar friend on your daily rides – but it has to be reliable, long lasting and comfortable to receive ‘commuting essential’ status. Here’s a look at 3 of the best we’ve found over the […]
Guest post by Tom Allen. Alongside cycling in general, bicycle travel is undergoing a real growth spurt. More and more people are discovering the joys of using their bikes to see the world beyond their local rides. This is gratifying, because I know from experience that bicycle travel has the power to change lives. We’ve […]
This is a guest post by Alex Bodini, Co-Founder of Fixation London. We, like many others, have quietly observed the increase in cyclists on the roads of the UK with a big smile on our face over the past 5 years – we are bike people, always have been, always will be, so whether its road bikes, BMXs, mountain […]
What you wear to ride in the summer matters – you don’t want to be sweaty, and you want good shorts – but over winter, kit can make or break your ride. I’ve got plenty of jackets that I think are ‘ok’, and tights that ‘do the job’, but when it comes to a long, […]
Looking after your bike yourself is a good thing – it will save you money, and understanding how your bike works is helpful for those roadside malfunctions that can occur from time to time. There are some mistakes that nearly all cyclists make in their first year of riding – here are 5 that you […]
London’s bike shops have come together to offer London Cyclist readers discounts on popular items. This is part of continuing partnership with Pocket High Street aiming to bring you more from London’s independent bike shops. The items here are click and collect. You order through Pocket High Street and then ride to the store to collect. Alternatively, […]
Winter months are tough – icy mornings, windy evenings, and lots of darkness. In fact, this Monday we even had ‘blue Monday’ – reportedly the most depressing day of the year. We’re sure London Cyclist readers won’t be feeling too down – after all, you know the joys of a bike ride – but we’ve […]
We’ve all been there – early morning ride to work, the journey back after a long day, or perhaps your planned long weekend ride – all can become an epic slog if the wind decides to try and blow you back to where you came from. Here’s some advice on making it a tad more […]
Join 9,241 fellow London Cyclists who receive our free weekly newsletter:
As mentioned in:
- Velosock – A sock for your bike reviewed 30/07/2015
- Discerning Cyclist Style Guide – Summer Edition 18/07/2015
- 5 accessories for a summer of cycling 25/06/2015
- What it’s like to get knocked off your bike 22/06/2015
- Traffic-free Sundays on Regent Street in July 18/06/2015
- What it’s like to race Bradley Wiggins 09/06/2015
- 10 things I wish I’d known when I first started cycling 11/04/2013
- The best bike lock 21/11/2012
- Bicycle insurance 07/09/2011
- How to start cycling 20/01/2011
- Buying a second hand bike in London 25/08/2010
- 7 mistakes you are making with your cycling and how you can correct them 28/04/2010
- 35 London Cycling Routes with GPS 02/03/2010
- DH: You also missed Sportif Magazine, second highest f...
- Steve Marshall: Community, What is the latest thoughts/links/re...
- Anta: Velosock isn't waterpfoorf to protect bike from r...
- Dave: I frequently use my HPV Streetmachine recumbent fo...
- Andrew Curry: If you're trying to keep your carpet clean/ dry w...
- Anta: To protect bike from rust Velosock indoor cover is...
Guide to waterproof cycling jackets
We've reviewed some of the best waterproof cycling jackets