I dug a hole, put down the sleeping bag and settled in for one of the most memorable nights of my life. There was a stillness than hung in the air. It was only interrupted by the occasional cracking in the distance. The sound was made by the ice, as it was breaking away from […]
If you sat on Southwark Bridge during rush hour, with a cup of tea and clipboard and counted the number of Specialized Allez bikes rolling by, you’d be amazed. They are probably one of the most popular bikes in London. That’s because they have been a firm favourite at Evans Cycles for over 20 years. When a […]
Whether you like it or not, the River Thames is there, cutting through the centre of the Capital. But what happens when you have to cross it? On the Tube, you might not even notice; but on a bike, it can be a real pain. Here’s London Cyclist’s ranking of central London’s bridges, from worst to […]
Why do we Brits love France so much? The cuisine? The unspoilt small villages? A chance to practise what little French we know? Je ne sais quoi – but for cyclists, it’s a mixture of all of those, and their rather well developed cycle network. Take for example the 773 mile long, Vélodyssée cycle route. It’s […]
Most of us have cycle around daily with powerful GPS devices in our pockets: our iPhone and Android devices. A few of us even have a Garmin GPS. However, few people have used the GPS functionality beyond basic route planning apps such as Bike Hub and Google Maps. That’s a shame as it can be […]
Is it that time of the year already? The 14th of February comes around quickly and a few of us might have been caught out! But that’s fine, if the woman or man of your dreams is a cyclist. Buying a small thoughtful, or a big extravagant gift for a cyclist is easy, there’s always […]
Top Gear presenter Jeremy Clarkson is not the first person you’d think of as an advocate for mass-cycling. Recently though, he’s had his moments. In 2012 ‘Jezza’ shocked the cycling world by endorsing Danish-style segregated cycle lanes. Of Copenhagen, he said: It’s fan-bleeding-tastic. And best of all: there are no bloody cars cluttering the place […]
Over winter, crud and grime can build up on your bike and components. It’s easy to wipe the frame, whip a rag over the chain, and call it clean – but though the bike might look more presentable, doing so this won’t protect the components or make your bike last longer. The good news is […]
Join Team Shelter for this incredible 100km moonlit ride past London’s most iconic landmarks. You’ll ride over Tower Bridge, through the deserted City of London, round Canary Wharf, past the sleeping beasts in London Zoo and so much more! Limited spaces sell out fast, so make sure you secure your spot. In 2013 Shelter helped […]
It’s easy to understand why a bike lock is never considered an exciting purchase. You’ve just splashed out on a super amazing new £1,000 carbon dream machine, and now you’re being told you need to spend a further £100 to keep it safe? Not a great thing to hear. However, it’s often quoted that you […]
The vast majority of motorists in London drive quite sensibly. Unfortunately, since a regular bike commuter interacts with many thousands of cars a year, it only takes a very small percentage of idiots to make unpleasant encounters an occasional, but all-too-inevitable part of cycling in the capital. Here are some of the worst examples caught […]
A good pair of gloves will make all the difference to your ride – cold, numb hands can be not only painful, but can really limit your responsiveness on the handlebars, shifters and brakes. The key things to look for in a winter glove are: Weather proofing Obvious, but there are different types. Windproof, water […]
Join 9,241 fellow London Cyclists who receive our free weekly newsletter:
As mentioned in:
- Cycling for those with poor eyesight 22/04/2014
- 5 fun bikes you should try to ride 17/04/2014
- Changes to make to your cycle commute in summer 15/04/2014
- Cycling tech that’s from the future 14/04/2014
- 7 London bike shops you should follow on Twitter 08/04/2014
- RideLondon-Surrey 100: Our top tips and your place in the 2014 event 08/04/2014
- 10 things I wish I’d known when I first started cycling 11/04/2013
- The best bike lock 21/11/2012
- Bicycle insurance 07/09/2011
- How to start cycling 20/01/2011
- Buying a second hand bike in London 25/08/2010
- 7 mistakes you are making with your cycling and how you can correct them 28/04/2010
- 35 London Cycling Routes with GPS 02/03/2010
- mtv video music awards 2014: What's up colleagues, іts fantastic post гegard...
- cL0h: I use a regular light too. Specifically I us a fen...
- Sharon: Hi Caroline, Please let me know where you had your...
- Caroline: Spencer I also had extreme astigmatism and could n...
- Vincent: > My glasses are quite close fitting to my face...
- Steven Harding: I'm also a massive Carradice fan! Oh no, hang ...
Guide to waterproof cycling jackets
We've reviewed some of the best waterproof cycling jackets