A look at the Mayors London Transport Plan and how it falls short of serving cyclists with only a 5% target of modal share
Archive | News RSS feed for this section
The peak district is already one of the nicest parts of the country you can cycle round and this is set to improve with a £1.25 million cash injection from Cycling England.
So it is the end of another year of the Cycle Show! Here is a bit of a preview of some of the main things to emerge from this years show and what we can expect hitting the stores shortly.
Fancy cycling to Paris for a weekend escape? Oui. A new route ready for the 2012 Olympics is being built that will link London to Paris. The plan is to utilise existing cycle paths and link them together wherever necessary with new routes. The starting point in London is at the iconic St. Paul’s Cathedral […]
"He needs to think less about attention-grabbing policies linked to niche modes of travel like cycling and grasp the bigger problems of transport in the capital, not least congestion in outer London. With the best will in the world, encouraging a few more people onto their bikes is not going to solve the relentless jams […]
What I’ve been reading Best of the web is a London Cyclist monthly series that highlights the best cycling content from around the web. We go out there and find all of the best bits so you don’t have to! London Cycling News Cycle to work scheme (50% off bikes!) is now available to all […]
The Bicycle Film Festival kicks off tomorrow in London and there is plenty going on and anyone can attend. Wednesday 23rd 7pm: Opening party at Tabernacle on Powis Square and the east to west ride Thursday 24th 8.30pm: Breaking Away bicycle film on show plus the late night party at 9.30pm at the Barbican Theatre […]
Today was the London Skyride. It involved 15km (why do they use KM in all the promotional material? I guess it sounds better than 9.32 miles) of roads closed off to cars, so that cyclists can enjoy cycling around London. There were also plenty of events being held such as bike repair stands and the […]
You can shoot a Welsh person with a bow and arrow in Chester, a pregnant woman may relieve herself anywhere she likes, including in a policeman’s helmet and cyclists cannot cycle down one-way streets. All very silly laws and all actually still exist. But of all those, the third may be about to change. (more…)
What I’ve been reading is a London Cyclist monthly series that highlights the best cycling content from around the web. We go out there and find all of the best bits so you don’t have to! London Cycling News (Shuffles papers in news anchor style) Cycle Fridays are continuing in the capital this month, encouraging […]
After sliding my credit card into a payment machine and parting with £3 of my hard earned cash the above bike is mine for 24 hours. This may soon be the reality for Londoners and visitors to London alike who wish to explore the city by bike or simply get to work. This is all […]
Update Initial reports seem positive: “The first cycle Friday has gone really well. We were targeting around 25 new riders per ride and we were pleased with the support. There were two rides of 24 people from Brixton, and the Greenwich ride saw a similar turnout.” Cycle Fridays is the newest initiative by Transport for […]
Join 9,241 fellow London Cyclists who receive our free weekly newsletter:
As mentioned in:
- Mitie London Revolution places are now open 22/10/2014
- 8 Tips to keep you riding all year 22/10/2014
- On and off the bike: 5 stylish clip shoes for men 20/10/2014
- Choosing road tyres for autumn and winter 16/10/2014
- 5 of the best bike locks 10/10/2014
- 5 Smart clipless pedal friendly shoes for women 07/10/2014
- 10 things I wish I’d known when I first started cycling 11/04/2013
- The best bike lock 21/11/2012
- Bicycle insurance 07/09/2011
- How to start cycling 20/01/2011
- Buying a second hand bike in London 25/08/2010
- 7 mistakes you are making with your cycling and how you can correct them 28/04/2010
- 35 London Cycling Routes with GPS 02/03/2010
- Phil: Cold weather gives me a bit more of an incentive t...
- Claire: Rob, London is not the world. Even in the UK, ther...
- Mark: thanks i have found windows movie maker now - very...
- Nancy Blum: In NYC it's best to use 2 locks...because it take...
- Roger: The delights of cycling in winter are many: You...
- Andreas: Hey Mark - sorry I didn't see your reply sooner -...
Guide to waterproof cycling jackets
We've reviewed some of the best waterproof cycling jackets