Some quick tips to get you city cyclists to get you cycling faster…
- If safe to do so then get off your bike and walk across the traffic light – your not breaking any laws right?
- When stuck in traffic don’t just sit there – with a few manoeuvres you can be at the front of that traffic jam
- Anticipate the traffic – know when to speed up and when to slow down and see where there are potential spots to change lanes if one lane is moving faster etc
- Keep your bike in good condition – A good bike with pumped up tires etc will ride more easily
- Find a faster route to your destination – there is always a quicker way, don’t just stick to the same old route you have always used. Investigate new routes and find ones with less traffic lights
- Switch to a lower gear when you know you are coming to a stop, it will be easier to accelerate once that light turns green
Whilst in a city you are unlikely to reach your top speed you will get there faster.Do you know any more good speedy cycling tips?
- The comments people have left below with some amazing tips
- How to find and plan the perfect cycling trip in the UK
- Cycling accessories – things to know before you spend your money
- Top 50 cycling blogs
Image source: Jkonig Flickr stream
Join 9,241 fellow cyclists who are subscribed to the London Cyclist newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get...
- Advice on the best cycling gear
- A Friday roundup of all the latest London cycling news
- Exclusive content not available on the blog
Subscribe today, and get exclusive access forever! (It's free)
*No spam, ever!
As seen on The Guardian, BBC and The Independent.