In 2008, Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson became a recognisable symbol across London. He carefully crafted an image of himself which, more often than not, included a trusted bicycle by his side. In the minds of Londoners it conveyed friendliness, at one with the people and emphasis on green credentials. However, after his four year […]
Archive | Cycling in London RSS feed for this section
Kathy, a personal trainer, cycling enthusiast, London bike commuter and qualified spin instructor, has just launched Soul4Cycle, a dedicated pay-as-you-go indoor cycling studio. Soul4Cycle is inspired by her experiences as an instructor in South Africa and the US, where indoor cycling classes are an extremely popular form of exercise. The aim is to provide a […]
Traditionally around about this time of the year I update my “Top 50 Cycling Blogs” list but that’s a whole lot of work and I’m working on a big new project for London Cyclist so time is of the essence (all will be revealed soon!). Instead, I wanted to share with you today, 5 cycling […]
We all have those moments where we dream “Wouldn’t it be great to have a place nearby, where I could work on my bike and get some advice on how to maintain it”. Throw in a little bit of creativity, a loan from the London Cycling Campaign, a hint of luck and a credit card […]
If your bike gets stolen in London your chances of getting it back are pretty grim. You may have a quick look on Gumtree and eBay, report it to the police and then forget about it. However, this story of how Marc recovered his stolen brand new Charge bike should give others hope of recovering […]
The election campaign for the next Mayor of London is in full swing and candidates are vying for votes. Early polls suggest it’s a two horse race between Boris Johnson and Ken Livingstone with the result too close to call. Keen cyclists in London will be asking themselves: Has Boris done enough for cyclists and […]
A question that I frequently get asked is: How do I cycle across London? The answer is: You get your bike, you climb on to it as your dad taught you when you were little and then cycle across. Obviously, that isn’t what is really being asked here. The question referrers to how do you […]
The recent ride to parliament gathered 2,000 cyclists according to police estimates. The ride is just one of many that has recently been organised either to remember a cyclist tragically lost on London’s roads or to campaign for change. I’ve attended a couple such rides myself. It was a chance to show my support and […]
With the recent news that France has granted cyclists the right to disregard red lights at certain junctions ("Griller les feux"), perhaps such a rule no longer seems far fetched for the UK. The initial trial involves 15 intersections in Paris. Under the new rules cyclists will have to continue to yield to pedestrians and […]
With two bikes clogging my room and one clogging the hallway, it’s easy to think this house belongs to some kind of fanatical cycling blogger. That couldn’t be further from the truth. The house doesn’t belong to me, I rent. However, as one reader recently asked me via email, which one do I use to […]
If you’ve ever stood, ridden or driven through Euston Circus you’ll know it is a nightmare. An area infested with fumes, ear piercing screeches of buses coming to a halt and sirens every 20 seconds. This is a part of London that you can’t wait to get away from as soon as possible. Yet, in […]
Whilst there’s no shortage of great rides to do in London, in 2012 we can add a new one to the list. The London Revolution is certain to make its way onto many cyclists calendars. The ride takes place over the course of a weekend and covers 180 miles. It will be open to 2,500 […]
Get our free guide to cycling in London by joining the London Cyclist newsletter:
As mentioned in:
- New cycle safety film illustrates a lorry driver’s perspective 10/12/2013
- What is your bike made of? Bike frame materials and their properties 05/12/2013
- Stocking Fillers for Cyclists 02/12/2013
- The Endura Gridlock II Waterproof Trousers 29/11/2013
- I would cycle but it’s…. 28/11/2013
- Knog Blinder Road Light review 25/11/2013
- 10 things I wish I’d known when I first started cycling 11/04/2013
- The best bike lock 21/11/2012
- Bicycle insurance 07/09/2011
- How to start cycling 20/01/2011
- Buying a second hand bike in London 25/08/2010
- 7 mistakes you are making with your cycling and how you can correct them 28/04/2010
- 35 London Cycling Routes with GPS 02/03/2010
- Helen: Yes the stories both very different. Somehow the c...
- Dave McCraw (@david_mccraw): Isn't it obvious that the car story and the origi...
- JH: thank you helen for beating me to it… i am pmsl ...
- JH: Andreas… you have a great blog, followed it f...
- Helen: I don't think the blame in my case of the cyclist...
- Andreas: That's the problem JH - cyclists will continue to...
Bike apps for the iPhone
Repair your bike, track your cycling and find the nearest London bike shop - all from your iPhone:iPhone apps for cyclists