During the tube strikes a good friend of mine cycled from St John’s Wood to Canary Wharf for the first time. He enjoyed his cycle but on the way back he enjoyed it even more. This is because he was cycling with someone else from work. He found cycling with someone else not only meant […]
Archive | Cycling in London RSS feed for this section
85,000 people took over London’s roads in this years Skyride. A member of staff looks on as cheery Londoners cycle past. Give people a chance to be a little bit quirky and express themselves and they’ll take it. With beautiful results! The cheery “lollypop” staff who try to organise the mayhem. Some people appreciate them […]
If you are one of the pioneering users of the cycle hire scheme then the rest of us owe you a pint! As a pioneer you’ve struggled with bikes that don’t dock, over tightened bicycle brakes that require extra pedalling effort and call centres that won’t call you back. Here are some of the tips […]
It has been an eventful first week for the Cycle Hire Scheme. First we were told a few days before the launch that you had to pre-register. Then lots of people had problems registering and their cards being accepted. Upon launch a number of people reported bikes whose brakes were overzealous. Other people reported cycle […]
Eyeing MiCycle in Islington from the outside you imagine it looks like your typical bike shop. Shiny bikes on display and bike mechanics carefully reviving neglected bikes. But something more is happening here behind the scenes. You could say MiCycle is part of a new breed of bike shops. I try to open the door […]
Last Saturday was the Dunwich Dynamo. A 200km ride through the night from London Fields to a beach near Dunwich. I’m not one for preparation but this time I stocked up on the advice. From previous blog posts such in the Guardian Bike Blog and forums such as LFGSS. I took with me lots of […]
Registration for the cycle hire scheme was today launched and if you want to be one of the first to use the scheme you need to register. Registration for the year costs £45 which is generally considered the best value for money. Otherwise you can also choose weekly and daily plans. This can be completed […]
Last month residents of Lyon in France celebrated 5 years of their cycle hire scheme by cycling up to the mountain that overlooks the city. The hire bikes have become a part of every day life and are considered to be a big success. In London, on the 30th of July, our Cycle Hire Scheme […]
I’m often weighing up in my head who are the least and most courteous drivers in London. My opinion often changes. A white van driver fails to stop for me as I’m about to walk across a pelican crossing and they quickly shoot up to the top. A HGV driver gives me no space to […]
Here is this weeks Comment Friday or Forum Friday as someone suggested on Twitter (I could tell you who but Twitter only seems to work once every few hours!). This time it’s a question from Mr J. Who wanted to know what you would do if faced by this junction.. Would you hop off your […]
After years of cheering for Tim Henman from behind a TV screen and starting every Wimbledon with “I think he’s going to win it this year” I think it’s about time I got myself to the actual tournament that has been voted “Best British Sporting Event” to see some live tennis. I want the full […]
Once again continuing London Cyclists “comment Friday” tradition (better names on a post-card please!) I want to hear some thoughts on the cycle superhighways. Vincent was kind enough to send me some pictures of the Cycle Superhighways along Narrow Street leading to Canary Wharf. This route has long been one I believe TfL need to […]
Get our free guide to cycling in London by joining the London Cyclist newsletter:
As mentioned in:
- Hit by a car turning left, this cyclist decided to pursue a claim 01/08/2014
- Best carbon road bikes for under £1000 31/07/2014
- GPS bike locks 30/07/2014
- Knog Party Combo bike lock review 29/07/2014
- Shipping your bike 28/07/2014
- 3 things I prefer about cycling in Austin, Texas 27/07/2014
- 10 things I wish I’d known when I first started cycling 11/04/2013
- The best bike lock 21/11/2012
- Bicycle insurance 07/09/2011
- How to start cycling 20/01/2011
- Buying a second hand bike in London 25/08/2010
- 7 mistakes you are making with your cycling and how you can correct them 28/04/2010
- 35 London Cycling Routes with GPS 02/03/2010
- dock antique ice box latches: Holland: Tulip City, Michigan is a cultural feast ...
- Jon France: KLM sell a cardboard flat pack bike box for 20 or ...
- Click Here: Casa Greens is a stunning new residential project ...
- The Hard X: You can really get his pulse racing by having his ...
- Ian: Andy. Awful? I do love it when the bike snobs c...
- miracle saffron diet: I'm gone to tell my little brother, that he shoul...
Bike apps for the iPhone
Repair your bike, track your cycling and find the nearest London bike shop - all from your iPhone:iPhone apps for cyclists