Jon Marshall from the London Hardcourt Bike Polo Association recently got in touch with me to update me on how bike polo is moving on in London. For those who have not heard of bike polo before or are not quite sure what it is there is an awesome page explaining how to play. The […]
Archive | Cycling in London RSS feed for this section
A couple of weeks ago we looked into the winter cycling gear that can make winter cycling more enjoyable. I wanted to check in with you guys and see how it’s all coming along. Post a comment with.. How are you finding the shorter daylight hours? The colder weather? The rain? And what sort of […]
Cycle Hire Bike 14964 will always have a vivid place in my haunting memories. Yet, when I first approached it, it didn’t look so sinister. If anything Cycle Hire Bike 14964 looked kind of friendly and welcoming. Like an old friend. It wanted me to sit down. It wanted to show me the places I […]
Back in July I asked a simple question that turned into a the biggest discussion this site has ever had. I asked: Who are the least courteous drivers in London? Opinions were mixed and tensions ran high at certain points but many people agreed Addison Lee (the mini-cab company) was the worst. Last week, I […]
During the tube strikes a good friend of mine cycled from St John’s Wood to Canary Wharf for the first time. He enjoyed his cycle but on the way back he enjoyed it even more. This is because he was cycling with someone else from work. He found cycling with someone else not only meant […]
85,000 people took over London’s roads in this years Skyride. A member of staff looks on as cheery Londoners cycle past. Give people a chance to be a little bit quirky and express themselves and they’ll take it. With beautiful results! The cheery “lollypop” staff who try to organise the mayhem. Some people appreciate them […]
If you are one of the pioneering users of the cycle hire scheme then the rest of us owe you a pint! As a pioneer you’ve struggled with bikes that don’t dock, over tightened bicycle brakes that require extra pedalling effort and call centres that won’t call you back. Here are some of the tips […]
It has been an eventful first week for the Cycle Hire Scheme. First we were told a few days before the launch that you had to pre-register. Then lots of people had problems registering and their cards being accepted. Upon launch a number of people reported bikes whose brakes were overzealous. Other people reported cycle […]
Eyeing MiCycle in Islington from the outside you imagine it looks like your typical bike shop. Shiny bikes on display and bike mechanics carefully reviving neglected bikes. But something more is happening here behind the scenes. You could say MiCycle is part of a new breed of bike shops. I try to open the door […]
Last Saturday was the Dunwich Dynamo. A 200km ride through the night from London Fields to a beach near Dunwich. I’m not one for preparation but this time I stocked up on the advice. From previous blog posts such in the Guardian Bike Blog and forums such as LFGSS. I took with me lots of […]
Registration for the cycle hire scheme was today launched and if you want to be one of the first to use the scheme you need to register. Registration for the year costs £45 which is generally considered the best value for money. Otherwise you can also choose weekly and daily plans. This can be completed […]
Last month residents of Lyon in France celebrated 5 years of their cycle hire scheme by cycling up to the mountain that overlooks the city. The hire bikes have become a part of every day life and are considered to be a big success. In London, on the 30th of July, our Cycle Hire Scheme […]
Get our free guide to cycling in London by joining the London Cyclist newsletter:
As mentioned in:
- Keeping your phone charged while you track your rides 20/11/2014
- Spanish and Swedish bike repair instructions added to Bike Doctor app 19/11/2014
- 5 odd things we do with our bikes, that we’d never do with our cars 19/11/2014
- 5 of the best winter cycle gloves 12/11/2014
- How to stay safe when cycling around potholes 11/11/2014
- 8 moments all us cycle commuters have felt 06/11/2014
- 10 things I wish I’d known when I first started cycling 11/04/2013
- The best bike lock 21/11/2012
- Bicycle insurance 07/09/2011
- How to start cycling 20/01/2011
- Buying a second hand bike in London 25/08/2010
- 7 mistakes you are making with your cycling and how you can correct them 28/04/2010
- 35 London Cycling Routes with GPS 02/03/2010
- David Cohen: Ditto, pretty much to the word, re cleaning one's...
- Andreas: Ouch - that sounds extreme Beth. I must admit, I a...
- Andreas: Don't be hard on yourself - I'm not too proud to...
- Andreas: Tis true Mark - it's a bit of a tongue in cheek p...
- Andreas: I've had the same Jude in the past with new brake...
- Andreas: That's impressive Michael - have got very limited...
35 London Cycle Routes with GPS
For just £9.95 you can discover 35 amazing cycling routes in London for training, days out with the kids and traffic free riding. The eBook also comes with GPS coordinates.
Click here to find out more now