Riding a singlespeed or fixed wheel bike is all about simplicity. Both do away with gears, making for a lighter ride which requires less maintenance. A singlespeed bike has only one gear, but the pedals move independently of the rear wheel, meaning the rider can coast. A fixie has no freewheel, meaning that as long […]
Archive | Cycling in London RSS feed for this section
Cycling and coffee go hand in hand – riders of skinny tyres, fixed wheels, knobbly rubber and basketed bikes are nearly always all partial to a good espresso (cappachino, Americano, or latte). Cycle cafes bring together our love of bicycles and caffeinated drinks with a heady mix of new-tyre and alluring coffee bean aromas. Whether […]
Here at London Cyclist, we like to get to know our readers. Today, we’d like to hear about how you start the day. To kick it all off, I’ll share my own routine – I hope you all get involved and share your own! The nature of my employer means that I work with a […]
1. What’s with all these extra cyclists? 2. Finally, people have discovered the joys of cycling! It’s so nice to be joined by all my cycling brothers and sisters. We are living in a new era in London! 3. Oh, no, it’s just a tube strike. 4. Hope it ends soon – all these extra cyclists don’t know […]
For listings of all of London’s bike shops, cycle cafes and bike businesses, grab a copy of our free London Cyclist app. For a laugh, discounts and more, here’s a list of 7 London bike shop accounts I recommend you follow. Cycle PS @cycle_ps At Cycle PS in Camberwell you’ll find a pool table and stone […]
Now the clocks have gone back, you may begin to notice you have gained extra daylight time, that the world seems a little less bleak, and that your bicycle wheels are spinning further and faster. The eagle eyed of you may also notice something else: strange clusters of men and women in giant baby-grows, often […]
Riding to get from A to B is usually not a group activity. However, if you want to get out and ride for leisure, and fancy making your cycling more sociable, joining a club or riding with a group is a great way to meet like minded people to share the road with. Here’s a […]
The vast majority of motorists in London drive quite sensibly. Unfortunately, since a regular bike commuter interacts with many thousands of cars a year, it only takes a very small percentage of idiots to make unpleasant encounters an occasional, but all-too-inevitable part of cycling in the capital. Here are some of the worst examples caught […]
If you plan to make any New Years Resolutions, you’ve probably done it by now. However, as well as the exciting things you could do by bike in 2014, but there are some amazing events taking place in the UK that you could be a part of. Here are some of the top cycling attractions […]
It’s been raining a lot recently. Something the news loves to report on. If you haven’t had a few days off the bike thanks to floods and high winds, I personally think you’re a lucky rider. Could there possibly be anything good about all this rain? Let’s see… You get cool points for riding through […]
Barclay’s are no longer feeling the London cycling love and have left Boris bike commuters without a sponsor, having walked away after paying just half of the promised £50 million. Who will step up to take their place? “Nobody!” I’m sure many of us would wishfully answer. The original “naked” form of the bikes is much more […]
I used to turn up my nose to events like the MITIE London Revolution. “Pah! Why ride in a big group. I’d rather just ride it myself.”. Then one year, I gave it a try and found out I rather enjoyed it. Now I find myself looking forward to the next one. I’m not the only […]
Join 9,241 fellow London Cyclists who receive our free weekly newsletter:
As mentioned in:
- Hit by a car turning left, this cyclist decided to pursue a claim 01/08/2014
- Best carbon road bikes for under £1000 31/07/2014
- GPS bike locks 30/07/2014
- Knog Party Combo bike lock review 29/07/2014
- Shipping your bike 28/07/2014
- 3 things I prefer about cycling in Austin, Texas 27/07/2014
- 10 things I wish I’d known when I first started cycling 11/04/2013
- The best bike lock 21/11/2012
- Bicycle insurance 07/09/2011
- How to start cycling 20/01/2011
- Buying a second hand bike in London 25/08/2010
- 7 mistakes you are making with your cycling and how you can correct them 28/04/2010
- 35 London Cycling Routes with GPS 02/03/2010
- eminence skin care stone crop: Ιt is a beautiful shot with very gօoԁ light-wei...
- Andreas: 300g....
- Andreas: Thanks Mike for the useful feedback - much appreci...
- Jon France: KLM sell a cardboard flat pack bike box for 20 or ...
- Ian: Andy. Awful? I do love it when the bike snobs c...
- Simon: Strangely in the android app for CycleStreets the ...
Guide to waterproof cycling jackets
We've reviewed some of the best waterproof cycling jackets