With maturity, usually comes knowledge – and Lucas should have that it spades, having been trading since 1872. The company has its roots in Birmingham, where the HQ is still based, and they started out creating ship’s lamps, and eventually the “King of the Road” cycle lamp, designed to be used on a Penny Farthing. […]
Archive | Cycling accessories RSS feed for this section
When you check your typical weather app, you’ll see it’s 15 degrees Celsius (59 Fahrenheit) and there’s a chance of rain later on. But what does that mean in terms of the kind of gear you should wear? If you’re an everyday cyclist, this probably means you’ll pack your typical gear, plus perhaps your waterproof jacket. […]
I say it quietly… but there has been a definite whiff of spring in the air over the last couple of days. Overshoes are occasionally being left at home, winter tights gradually swapped for shorts and leg warmers – it’s all happening. There are some spring days when a full winter jersey just isn’t needed, […]
The first time I got a puncture whilst out on a ride, I was stood atop of Ditchling Beacon with no puncture repair kit, no pump, no battery on my phone and basically no hope of sorting myself out without the help of a passing cyclist. That was coming up to 4 years ago now, […]
Review by Jude from Cycling with Heels. My friend casts an admiring glance at me as she opens the front door. “Ooh, nice coat. Very smart.” It’s not often I get compliments for a cycling jacket – but then the Cassandra coat is no ordinary cycling jacket. Water Off a Duck’s Back was born out of […]
When I arrive at work, I lock my bike up safely with all the other happy looking bikes in a big storage unit. On multiple occasions, I’ve stopped on my way out to switch off a rear light that somebody has accidentally left on. It’s very easy to arrive at work after a wet, cold […]
Is it that time of the year already? The 14th of February comes around quickly and a few of us might have been caught out! But that’s fine, if the woman or man of your dreams is a cyclist. Buying a small thoughtful, or a big extravagant gift for a cyclist is easy, there’s always […]
With a baby on the way, it recently came to my realisation that the spare room is no longer going to be ‘spare’ – and as such can no longer be deemed a room for me to keep my bike and all paraphernalia. While there are a range of fancy indoor bicycle storage options, I […]
Guest post by Jude from Cycling with Heels. Let’s face it – most bags designed for use on a bike are not particularly attractive. The demands of practicality and function mean that aesthetics are usually the poor relation. For those of us who want a bike bag that looks like something we’d carry when we’re not […]
Ahhh, the new year. A time of drinking, a time to reflect, a time to promise yourself to “sort out your life!”. Some of my goals for next year: Hire an extra freelance writer for London Cyclist, go to Antarctica and “be more fit”. The last one in particular, I’ll be tracking with Active Goals. […]
Cold feet and hands can turn a pleasant ride into a miserable one, and we can all recognise the feeling of cold water seeping through your socks and sitting against your skin. My feet feel cold just typing this! Overshoes are one way of limiting the likelihood of the curse of numb toes. Overshoes are […]
Rain and wind are very rarely high on a cyclists list of “favourite conditions to ride in”, but there will always come a day when the heavens open and you find yourself pedalling through it. The best thing you can do is kit up and ride through the storm – so here’s our run down […]
Join 9,241 fellow London Cyclists who receive our free weekly newsletter:
As mentioned in:
- 5 common bike maintenance mistakes to avoid 29/01/2015
- London’s Big Local Bike Shop End of January Sale 23/01/2015
- 5 bikes you’ll want to ride as soon as you see them 22/01/2015
- Tips to make your next ride in to the headwind bearable 15/01/2015
- 9 of the most common questions by new cyclists answered 15/01/2015
- Cycling in icy conditions 09/01/2015
- 10 things I wish I’d known when I first started cycling 11/04/2013
- The best bike lock 21/11/2012
- Bicycle insurance 07/09/2011
- How to start cycling 20/01/2011
- Buying a second hand bike in London 25/08/2010
- 7 mistakes you are making with your cycling and how you can correct them 28/04/2010
- 35 London Cycling Routes with GPS 02/03/2010
- lapsa: I was told that it is better to lube chain by indi...
- Rick Gregory: Good article as usual Michelle. However under 3. -...
- Alan Moore: Did anyone see this on Dragons Den? The owner hope...
- Fran: I think this vest is pure genius!! my daughter is ...
- Graeme: Actually rather amusing to see Andy's initial com...
- Phil: I remember riding a Strida back in 1990; very unst...
Guide to waterproof cycling jackets
We've reviewed some of the best waterproof cycling jackets