Temperatures dropped this week, and whilst riding past drivers de-icing their cars is always a bit of a giggle, frozen fingers are less enjoyable. Cold fingers aren’t just unpleasant, they impede your ability to brake, change gear, and they’re not great for your concentration, either. However, with the right gloves, you really can make numb […]
Archive | Cycling accessories RSS feed for this section
At London Cyclist we love to receive your requests for topics to be featured – and when we covered casual commuter shoes for women, on request, we were soon flooded with requests for a mens equivalent. Riding clipped in allows you to utilize more of your muscle with every pedal stroke, waste less energy, and […]
The wet weather has arrived and unfortunately it will probably continue to rear it’s ugly head repeatedly for the next couple of months. Heavy rain means that debris is washed onto road surfaces, so even when the surfaces have dried out, there are more puncture risks on the tarmac. Not only that, but of course […]
No one wants to return to their pride and joy to find it missing, but unfortunately bike theft is all too common. When picking a bike lock, you want to go for one that promises to be sturdy, but is not so heavy or cumbersome that you’re more likely to take one look at it […]
This week we had an email from a female reader desperately searching for smart looking clipless pedal friendly shoes for women. Search as she might, our reader hadn’t found any women’s specific shoes that clipped in, but could pass as everyday wear off the bike. Task in hand, we set off in search of an […]
I hate shopping for trousers. It’s one of those items that you’ll wear all the time and will last for years, which makes it feel like it’s a big decision. As I hate shopping for them, I end up wearing my old trousers so much that eventually they get a hole in them. That’s what happened with […]
Backpacks for cycling come in all shapes and sizes. When I first joined the commuter community, I had a “Jansport” backpack – purchased because that is the style of pack I had at school, I found a cheap one in TKMaxx (oh, student days…) and it seemed sensible. Fine for early commutes, I soon realized […]
Mountain bikes and hybrids have been equipped with disc brakes for a long time – but it’s only over the last couple of years that they’ve made their way on to road bikes. A rare role reversal Disc brakes present a strange and rare opportunity to bike manufacturers – because they give everyday cyclists access […]
We’ve already covered the best road bikes for men, for women and folding bikes. However, we’ve yet to cover Dutch style bikes. You’ll have already seen plenty of Dutch style bikes or city bikes around London, in the form of Boris Bikes. You’ll generally find a few features in the bikes that make them ideal […]
Cycling caps, otherwise known as cycling berretta(s?), are a quintessential part of road cycling. Often worn alone for racing until the UCI made helmets compulsory in 2003, they’ve been heavily documented perching atop the heads of pro cyclists of the 70s and 80s, the wearers exuding ‘cool’ and quirky racer vibes. A cycling cap is […]
We’ve reviewed various action sports cameras in the past – and they’ve all got their merits – but the GoPro is by far the most popular of the lot. The market leader promises quality footage, that is easy to download and share, all in an attractive package that isn’t too heavy or bulky – and […]
Not too long ago, we wrote a piece explaining the benefits of wearing a cycling jersey. The quality material, close (non-flapping) material and handy inner-tube friendly pockets will all help you on a ride. However, we understand that not everyone wants to resemble their Tour de France idols. Brands know that some of us like […]
Join 9,241 fellow London Cyclists who receive our free weekly newsletter:
As mentioned in:
- Mitie London Revolution 2015 – Extra camping spots released! 25/03/2015
- The simplest bike storage solution 24/03/2015
- 10 of the greatest joys for cyclists 16/03/2015
- Discounted bike servicing in 17 local London bike shops 13/03/2015
- How a cyclist sees London 09/03/2015
- 3 odd changes to make your next bike ride safer than the last 05/03/2015
- 10 things I wish I’d known when I first started cycling 11/04/2013
- The best bike lock 21/11/2012
- Bicycle insurance 07/09/2011
- How to start cycling 20/01/2011
- Buying a second hand bike in London 25/08/2010
- 7 mistakes you are making with your cycling and how you can correct them 28/04/2010
- 35 London Cycling Routes with GPS 02/03/2010
- peta rose: Driving home along Southend on Sea sea front last ...
- mark: i think i have the answer to the oh so obvious dan...
- Eoghan: I've started using one of these, cost about £40 ...
- Esther: Any ideas for storing a tricycle?...
- sowerbob: and all I use daily is my brompton which is inside...
- sowerbob: I did the same thing on the cheap in my garage. £...
Guide to waterproof cycling jackets
We've reviewed some of the best waterproof cycling jackets