This is a guest post by Julian Bell, a teacher and writer living in South West London. He blogs at www.lifelonglondoner.blogspot.com. Note: Unless you’ve got one of those bikes that can doubles up as a submarine, I’d probably save this ride and keep it for when the weather improves. We all occasionally get the urge […]
Archive | Routes RSS feed for this section
Most of us have cycle around daily with powerful GPS devices in our pockets: our iPhone and Android devices. A few of us even have a Garmin GPS. However, few people have used the GPS functionality beyond basic route planning apps such as Bike Hub and Google Maps. That’s a shame as it can be […]
Christmas is traditionally a day for making time for family and friends, settling around the Christmas tree, munching through copious amounts of food, and for giving thanks depending on your religious views. Boring! How about going on a Christmas day bike ride?! London is at its most quiet on Christmas day and as bloggers such as […]
Today, I’m sharing a route from our 35 London Cycle Routes eBook. If you’ve not got yourself a copy, I recommend it! The eBook is still only £9.95. During this ride, if the views don’t take your breath away, then the cycle route certainly will. Tackle London’s hills and you’re in for a reward as […]
The beach is the one thing our wonderful city is missing. Or is it? Whilst not exactly comparable to a Greek island, there are actually a number of sandy beaches in London you can pedal to. They make for a perfect day out with family or friends. You’ll need to get exploring these spots now […]
In Cornwall there’s a well known cycle route called the Camel Trail. (I’d never heard it before but then my general knowledge is akin to that of a goldfish). If you find yourself in that part of the world, exploring small villages, eating Cornish pasties or surfing, then it’s worthy of a visit. The total […]
It’s been a while since I’ve shared a London cycle route as truth be told, I’ve not been doing much cycling outside the centre of London. However, a friend of mine recently took me out on this ride and I wanted to share it with you guys – just in case we suddenly get a […]
The Euston road is busy, crowded, fast paced and now has an Olympic lane sprawled across it. Some “urban warrior” style cyclists love these conditions. Others, prefer the tranquillity of a back route. The joys include less traffic, a more relaxed pace and far more pleasant surroundings. As well as the opportunity to discover new […]
You know those kind of bike rides that are in London but you feel like you are out in the countryside? Tibbet’s Ride is the perfect example. You’ll encounter a minimum amount of cars along this mostly off-road route. It connects Putney Heath, Wimbledon Common and Richmond Park. The route follows the official cycle paths […]
Say you are the leader of a ride and you need to follow a route. Or, you’ve just bought a copy of the London Cycle Routes eBook and you want to follow one or the rides. Or, you are cycling a sportive from London to Brighton and you want to have the route handy. Oddly, […]
Finding the best places to cycle in London is easy. They are all inside the above eBook! The new version builds upon the previous 30 rides adding 5 more routes. If you’ve been following the blog for the past week then you may have spotted the teasers I posted. There’s the Swinley Forest “thing’s are […]
In the busy city of London, it’s reassuring to discover peaceful retreats such as Hampstead Heath. It is an area with a distinct village feel to it. Which is all the more contrasting when you consider how near to central London you are. I was kicking myself that I didn’t include this very special ride […]
Join 9,241 fellow London Cyclists who receive our free weekly newsletter:
As mentioned in:
- Bike shop profile – The Hackney Peddler 27/05/2016
- London Cycling Awards 2016 – the winners 24/05/2016
- What a bike thief can teach you about locking your bike 17/05/2016
- Cycling the Italian Lake District 09/05/2016
- The best bike shops in Central London 28/04/2016
- Summer cycling events in London 26/04/2016
- 10 things I wish I’d known when I first started cycling 11/04/2013
- The best bike lock 21/11/2012
- Bicycle insurance 07/09/2011
- How to start cycling 20/01/2011
- Buying a second hand bike in London 25/08/2010
- 7 mistakes you are making with your cycling and how you can correct them 28/04/2010
- 35 London Cycling Routes with GPS 02/03/2010
- Har hari: This to the guy who is in the video about locking ...
- Frank Tompson: Above you say 'Let’s start with the Best iPhone...
- JB: I am going to have to stop reading this colum as i...
- Tony Delaney: What about using gps security? I don't know if we...
- Andrew Wilcox: I just turn my camera, Shimano Sport Camera with b...
- Alex: Is there a way to press a button on the cameras to...
Bike apps for the iPhone
Repair your bike, track your cycling and find the nearest London bike shop - all from your iPhone:iPhone apps for cyclists