In practice Hackney prioritises bus transport over cycling. Is that such a bad thing? When I interviewed Hackney’s cycling boss Feryal Dermici last week, she told me the borough was blocking TfL’s preferred route for Cycle Superhighway 1, which goes right down the A10, from Tottenham, through Stoke Newington, and down Kingsland Road. She gave […]
About Jon StoneJon is a journalist and weekly contributor to London Cyclist. He lives in Camden and commutes by bike to Westminster.
Author Archive | Jon Stone
Hackney’s cycling boss interviewed: 15 new things we learned about the future of cycling in the borough
Continuing our series of interviews with the people in charge of cycling in London’s boroughs, I spoke to Feryal Demirci, Hackney’s Cabinet member for Neighbourhoods – a brief that includes cycling and other transport. I’ve picked out fifteen new things she told me about the future of cycling in Hackney. If you missed my interviews […]
Whether you like it or not, the River Thames is there, cutting through the centre of the Capital. But what happens when you have to cross it? On the Tube, you might not even notice; but on a bike, it can be a real pain. Here’s London Cyclist’s ranking of central London’s bridges, from worst to […]
Top Gear presenter Jeremy Clarkson is not the first person you’d think of as an advocate for mass-cycling. Recently though, he’s had his moments. In 2012 ‘Jezza’ shocked the cycling world by endorsing Danish-style segregated cycle lanes. Of Copenhagen, he said: It’s fan-bleeding-tastic. And best of all: there are no bloody cars cluttering the place […]
The vast majority of motorists in London drive quite sensibly. Unfortunately, since a regular bike commuter interacts with many thousands of cars a year, it only takes a very small percentage of idiots to make unpleasant encounters an occasional, but all-too-inevitable part of cycling in the capital. Here are some of the worst examples caught […]
Today I interviewed Phil Jones, Camden Borough Council’s cabinet member for transport. Here’s what he told me about cycling in one of central London’s key boroughs: Royal College Street has seen a 40% to 50% increase in cycle traffic since its cycle track was upgraded The flagship cycle route has also seen a reduction in […]
The best way to get around with a bike is usually to ride it. But when you have your bike with you but can’t, or don’t want to cycle, London’s public transport will probably let you down. Here are six ways we can improve the experience of using public transport with a bike in the […]
I recently interviewed Westminster Council’s City Commissioner for Transport, Martin Low, as part of a feature for The House magazine. Due to space constraints I didn’t get to use everything he said in our wide-ranging chat; here are some highlights: Westminster rejects the idea of a central London daytime HGV ban He spells out two […]
The capital’s cycling provision keeps cycling campaigners in business; a list of junctions that weren’t designed for cycling would include 99% of the junctions in London. But what are the worst of the worst? The real places that cyclists dread to go? Here are twelve infamous candidates. Images courtesy of Google Street View. Southampton Row/Theobalds […]
Get our free guide to cycling in London by joining the London Cyclist newsletter:
As mentioned in:
- Keeping your phone charged while you track your rides 20/11/2014
- Spanish and Swedish bike repair instructions added to Bike Doctor app 19/11/2014
- 5 odd things we do with our bikes, that we’d never do with our cars 19/11/2014
- 5 of the best winter cycle gloves 12/11/2014
- How to stay safe when cycling around potholes 11/11/2014
- 8 moments all us cycle commuters have felt 06/11/2014
- 10 things I wish I’d known when I first started cycling 11/04/2013
- The best bike lock 21/11/2012
- Bicycle insurance 07/09/2011
- How to start cycling 20/01/2011
- Buying a second hand bike in London 25/08/2010
- 7 mistakes you are making with your cycling and how you can correct them 28/04/2010
- 35 London Cycling Routes with GPS 02/03/2010
- Joanne: Mine is here if people would like to check out and...
- Hugo: Hi there, recently I start to use Finn (http://get...
- Ashwin: What bicycle repair needs to bring the prices down...
- Ashwin: Bike repair and maintenance is a cartel job in the...
- David Cohen: Ditto, pretty much to the word, re cleaning one's...
- Andreas: Ouch - that sounds extreme Beth. I must admit, I a...
Bike apps for the iPhone
Repair your bike, track your cycling and find the nearest London bike shop - all from your iPhone:iPhone apps for cyclists