Guest post by Joe Plommer, a photographer and writer based in Camberwell. You’ll find Joe on Twitter. Illustration via Mayumi Mori. I must first have visited Bob’s Cycles, on Walworth’s John Ruskin street, in around 2006. I was a student, and had recently left my long-standing part-time job at one of London’s major bike shop chains. This […]
Author Archive | Andreas
Guest post by Tom Allen. Alongside cycling in general, bicycle travel is undergoing a real growth spurt. More and more people are discovering the joys of using their bikes to see the world beyond their local rides. This is gratifying, because I know from experience that bicycle travel has the power to change lives. We’ve […]
This is a guest post by Alex Bodini, Co-Founder of Fixation London. We, like many others, have quietly observed the increase in cyclists on the roads of the UK with a big smile on our face over the past 5 years – we are bike people, always have been, always will be, so whether its road bikes, BMXs, mountain […]
London’s bike shops have come together to offer London Cyclist readers discounts on popular items. This is part of continuing partnership with Pocket High Street aiming to bring you more from London’s independent bike shops. The items here are click and collect. You order through Pocket High Street and then ride to the store to collect. Alternatively, […]
As we wrap things up for 2014 here at London Cyclist HQ and get ready for mince pies and long naps in-front of Christmas TV, we’d like to take a look back at our 5 most popular articles in 2014. Using GPS Cycle Routes on your Android or iPhone Our in-depth guide to GPS on Android and […]
Good news and bad news off TfL this Christmas. Which would you like to hear first? The good news is hundreds of new docking points are planned for 2015, as the scheme continues to successfully expand. In particular, Putney Pier, Vauxhall and Tower Bridge will see new stations, as will Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park. A […]
Readers always ask us to do more to feature local bike shops. It’s the reason we launched the free London Cyclist app to showcase some of London’s best bike shops. Today, we’re launching a new useful tool for London cyclists in collaboration with Pocket High Street. Using the orange search box on the right hand side of […]
Sign your business up to Zero Emissions Network and get a £1000 grant to help encourage sustainable travel
Hackney, Islington and Tower Hamlets councils have teamed up to create the Zero Emissions Network, a project aiming to reduce air pollution across the city fringe. They are aiming to help businesses operate cheaper, cleaner and greener. Aside from bespoke advice for local businesses they also provide the following benefits for anyone who signs up for free: Free […]
Mr No Battery Life asks: I wonder if in your editorial you might be able to do some surveying of mobile phone peripherals? I have been using MapMyRide to plot my routes, but my phone (Samsung Galaxy S2) runs out of battery before I finish, even on a 30 miler. So might you do something […]
In Spanish: ““¡Mi desviador esta roto!” In Swedish: “Min växelförare är trasig!” Now you know how to say my derailleur is broken in two more languages! Just don’t ask me how to pronounce the Swedish version… Our bike maintenance guide for iPhone and iPad now has two more languages. If your settings are in either […]
I’m sure many fellow cyclists can relate. 1. Avoid maintenance, until the brakes barely work I was having a chat with a friend of mine recently who runs a bike shop in London. Someone came in to the shop with £200 worth of repairs to their bike that needed doing. They decided they would leave it until after Christmas and […]
Let’s say I: Own a £1000 bike Plus £150 worth of bike accessories – my lock, lights, mudguard etc. I tend to leave my bike in my house and at work in a secure garage. Once a week I leave my bike overnight in London, when I go out for after work drinks (Around 14 hours) I have a […]
Get our free guide to cycling in London by joining the London Cyclist newsletter:
As mentioned in:
- Combine a weekend of sunshine, 2,000 riders, 185 miles.. what do you get? 21/05/2015
- Hill and Ellis bags – the journey to Made in England 19/05/2015
- Beyond pink: The rise of the female-specific bike shop 27/04/2015
- The five things I’ve learnt as an everyday cyclist in London 18/04/2015
- Best rechargeable bike lights 01/04/2015
- Mitie London Revolution 2015 – Extra camping spots released! 25/03/2015
- 10 things I wish I’d known when I first started cycling 11/04/2013
- The best bike lock 21/11/2012
- Bicycle insurance 07/09/2011
- How to start cycling 20/01/2011
- Buying a second hand bike in London 25/08/2010
- 7 mistakes you are making with your cycling and how you can correct them 28/04/2010
- 35 London Cycling Routes with GPS 02/03/2010
- Allen: Did this last year - really good ride but the Chil...
- Murf: Ordering my headstone as I type......
- SuW: Love the imagery........
- Mike Ford: I bought a Tern Link about 20 months ago. Since th...
- Chas: Hi There Interested in all your comments and we...
- carcharias: Always pleased with Smart Lunar 25 or 35 Lux. They...
Guide to waterproof cycling jackets
We've reviewed some of the best waterproof cycling jackets