With maturity, usually comes knowledge – and Lucas should have that it spades, having been trading since 1872. The company has its roots in Birmingham, where the HQ is still based, and they started out creating ship’s lamps, and eventually the “King of the Road” cycle lamp, designed to be used on a Penny Farthing. […]
Archive | March, 2014
When you check your typical weather app, you’ll see it’s 15 degrees Celsius (59 Fahrenheit) and there’s a chance of rain later on. But what does that mean in terms of the kind of gear you should wear? If you’re an everyday cyclist, this probably means you’ll pack your typical gear, plus perhaps your waterproof jacket. […]
As the sun has started to pop out more often, I’ve seen more and more bikes on the roads which appear to have emerged from sheds and been thrust into the cold light of day without a thought for their feelings. Dirty, un-lubed and sometimes making creaky noises, these poor bicycles are squealing for some […]
Guest post by Gemma Hume, Digital Coms Officer for Practical Action. In the early hours of Sunday 8th June, 4,000 cyclists will take to London’s streets for Nightrider, an incredible 100km charity bike ride…and I will be one of them. You could be too! This time last year, I grudgingly agreed to do Nightrider with […]
Helmet wearing, or not wearing, is a contentious issue – but we’re not here to debate whether you should or should not wear one. If you do choose to wear one, we’re here to offer some guidance on when to replace a helmet, and what’s available when you do go to buy a new lid. […]
I say it quietly… but there has been a definite whiff of spring in the air over the last couple of days. Overshoes are occasionally being left at home, winter tights gradually swapped for shorts and leg warmers – it’s all happening. There are some spring days when a full winter jersey just isn’t needed, […]
The recent Cycling Scotland advert, told drivers to treat a cyclist like a horse. That’s all well and good, and makes for a rather funny video, but how should cyclists treat horses and horse riders? Jessica Drake, a member of Horses and Road Safety Awareness, wanted to share with me a few of her tips as […]
The first time I got a puncture whilst out on a ride, I was stood atop of Ditchling Beacon with no puncture repair kit, no pump, no battery on my phone and basically no hope of sorting myself out without the help of a passing cyclist. That was coming up to 4 years ago now, […]
Riding to get from A to B is usually not a group activity. However, if you want to get out and ride for leisure, and fancy making your cycling more sociable, joining a club or riding with a group is a great way to meet like minded people to share the road with. Here’s a […]
In practice Hackney prioritises bus transport over cycling. Is that such a bad thing? When I interviewed Hackney’s cycling boss Feryal Dermici last week, she told me the borough was blocking TfL’s preferred route for Cycle Superhighway 1, which goes right down the A10, from Tottenham, through Stoke Newington, and down Kingsland Road. She gave […]
Join 9,241 fellow London Cyclists who receive our free weekly newsletter:
As mentioned in:
- The best bike shops in Central London 28/04/2016
- Summer cycling events in London 26/04/2016
- The 5 Best bike shops in West London 22/04/2016
- alpini Mini Velo review and Competition! 22/04/2016
- Eastway Flyback H1 hybrid bike review 21/04/2016
- Best bike shops in South London 15/04/2016
- 10 things I wish I’d known when I first started cycling 11/04/2013
- The best bike lock 21/11/2012
- Bicycle insurance 07/09/2011
- How to start cycling 20/01/2011
- Buying a second hand bike in London 25/08/2010
- 7 mistakes you are making with your cycling and how you can correct them 28/04/2010
- 35 London Cycling Routes with GPS 02/03/2010
- Rossco: I'm riding for breast cancer care. Good luck to ...
- Rossco: If your in the Putney area then Putney cycles is a...
- Descalzo dave: Dont bother with these tyres,if you live outside l...
- John Anderson: Bicycle Workshop on All Saints Road is an excellen...
- Ben: Another +1 for Fitzrovia Cycles. SBC Cycles is ...
- Helen: Looking for Speedplay pedal servicing.... any sugg...
Guide to waterproof cycling jackets
We've reviewed some of the best waterproof cycling jackets