Waterproof trousers don’t immediately strike me as the perfect riding attire, but they are a fantastic and practical solution for short journeys by bike when you want to arrive looking presentable. Bad waterproof trousers will make you feel like a person dressed in a very hot plastic bag – they’ll cause you to swelter and […]
Archive | November, 2013
We’ve all been there: it’s 6am, the alarm goes off – and it’s blowing a gale out there, the rain is hammering down – you just don’t feel like riding your bike. You come up with a few excuses, and convince yourself to find other means of transport. Well – don’t – because here are […]
Being seen when you’re cycling has always been important, and as we move further and further into winter the importance of a good pair of bike lights cannot be underestimated. With that in mind, we bring you probably the brightest bike light I’ve ever seen – the Knog Blinder. Considering the number of cyclists that […]
I’ll admit I was a tiny bit dubious when the Endura Gridlock II first arrived at my desk. Firstly, I’m not really a winter jacket wearer – I get warm pretty easily and my winter attire consists of a good baselayer, long sleeved hincapie jersey and a rain cape in case of downpour. When it’s really […]
When you arrive home, with feet numb like swollen ice bricks, fingers white and brittle, or soaked to the skin, winter can seem a less than fabulous time to ride a bike. But we still keep on doing it, and there have to be some very good reasons for that. Here are a few to […]
I used to turn up my nose to events like the MITIE London Revolution. “Pah! Why ride in a big group. I’d rather just ride it myself.”. Then one year, I gave it a try and found out I rather enjoyed it. Now I find myself looking forward to the next one. I’m not the only […]
Recent headlines have sent a shock through the cycling community. Five cyclists killed in nine days, bringing the death toll this year to 13. Unmentioned, are the hundreds of cyclists to suffer severe injuries. The Save Our Cyclists petition, as well as a flash ride spearheaded by the LCC and planned Stop the killing die-in […]
Dressing to stay warm on a winter ride starts from the layer closest to your skin. A base layer is worn under a jersey and is used to keep sweat away from your skin (wicking) and to trap a cosy insulating layer of air to keep you warm. You want a base layer that you […]
At first it was a happy accident, a few wrong turns on my first cycle to work, and I stumbled across Oxford Circus. For the first time as a London resident and not a tourist. It was a mistake I was glad to make. Three months after moving to London, my bike was stolen. I […]
Arm and leg warmers are possibly one of the most useful inventions known to cyclists. Perhaps that is an exaggeration – the bike might take precedence, but they are in the top 10. I mentioned these lovely little pieces of gear recently in a piece about kit for autumn rides – but these deserve a […]
Post by Jude from Cycling with Heels. In my head, I have a picture of the kind of cyclist I’d like to be. Glamorous and perfectly styled, I would pedal effortlessly, arriving at my destination without a hair out of place and nary a drop of sweat on me. While it’s unlikely I will ever […]
There are tons of things you can do on two wheels. You can ride long, winding roads, ticking off the hills across the country; you could load up a touring steed like a snail shell and travel from place to place with all your belongings. You could speed down trails, or even pull some stunts […]
Join 9,241 fellow London Cyclists who receive our free weekly newsletter:
As mentioned in:
- dhb Blok Fluoro bib shorts review 21/07/2014
- Where to watch the Tour de France TODAY 07/07/2014
- The coolest bike racks ever made 04/07/2014
- Why you got that ‘second’ puncture 04/07/2014
- 15 Tour de France facts that will make people think you’re a TdF expert at the pub 19/06/2014
- The best places in London to buy a singlespeed 19/06/2014
- 10 things I wish I’d known when I first started cycling 11/04/2013
- The best bike lock 21/11/2012
- Bicycle insurance 07/09/2011
- How to start cycling 20/01/2011
- Buying a second hand bike in London 25/08/2010
- 7 mistakes you are making with your cycling and how you can correct them 28/04/2010
- 35 London Cycling Routes with GPS 02/03/2010
- airush kites j c penneys online shopping: Hey there this is kinda of off topic but I was won...
- David: I'm having to do away with my singlespeed as it'...
- mairead: This is the first sensible article on how to ride ...
- Mrs janet groves: - can't wait to hear how some cyclists get around...
- geoff: Hi John, a useful message and something of a wake-...
- Van Finkletein: Quite right! Hence my pervious puzzlement.... it n...
Bike apps for the iPhone
Repair your bike, track your cycling and find the nearest London bike shop - all from your iPhone:iPhone apps for cyclists